Globally, women make up less than 30 percent of the workforce in physics, computer sciences and engineering, according to U.S. News & World Report. In an effort to carry out its mission that women have access to all resources and are represented in decision-making positions on an equal basis with men, Zonta International offers the Amelia Earhart Fellowship.
The Amelia Earhart Fellowship was established in 1938 in honor of famed pilot and Zontian, Amelia Earhart. The US$10,000 Fellowship is awarded annually to up to 30 women pursuing Ph.D./doctoral degrees in aerospace-applied sciences or aerospace-applied engineering. It may be used at any university or college offering accredited post-graduate courses and degrees in these fields.
Since the program’s inception in 1938, Zonta has awarded 1,573 Amelia Earhart Fellowships, totaling more than US$10 million, to 1,144 women representing 73 countries.
Our Fellows have gone on to become astronauts, aerospace engineers, astronomers, professors, geologists, business owners, heads of companies, even Secretary of the US Air Force.
Women of any nationality pursuing a Ph.D./doctoral degree who demonstrate a superior academic record in the field of aerospace-applied sciences or aerospace-applied engineering are eligible. Students must be registered in a full-time Ph.D./doctoral program and completed at least one year of that program or have received a master’s degree in an aerospace-applied field at the time the application is submitted. Applicants must not graduate from their Ph.D. or doctoral program before April 2020. Please note that post-doctoral research programs are not eligible for the Fellowship. Members and employees of Zonta International or the Zonta International Foundation are also not eligible to apply for the Fellowship. Note that previous Amelia Earhart Fellows are not eligible to apply to renew the Fellowship for a second year.
The Zonta International Amelia Earhart Fellowship Committee reviews the applications and recommends recipients to the Zonta International Board. All applicants are evaluated on the criteria stated in the requirements section of the application. All details of the evaluations are kept confidential; evaluations are not disclosed to applicants. All applicants will be notified of their status by the end of April 2019.
The 2019 Amelia Earhart Fellowship application must be submitted by 15 November 2018 to be considered.
Amelia Earhart Fellowships are made possible by generous contributions to the Zonta International Foundation Amelia Earhart Fellowship Fund.
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Full Tuition Fee Fashion Scholarships, International Fashion Academy, France
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
Women in Aerospace (WIA) Foundation Scholarships, USA
The WIA Foundation is pleased to provide scholarships to women interested in a career in the aerospace field to pursue higher education degrees in engineering, math or science. One or more awards will be given each year to a rising junior or senior in college, to be applied during
Fellowship in Aerospace History, American Historical Association, NASA, USA
The American Historical Association will annually fund at least one Fellow, for one academic year, to undertake a research project related to aerospace history. It will provide a Fellow with an opportunity to engage in significant and sustained advanced research in all aspects of the history of aerospace from the
Vera R Campbell Foundation Fellowship for Women, School for Advanced Research, USA
Campbell Fellowship for Women Scholar-Practitioners from Developing Nations School for Advanced Research on the Human Experience - sponsored by Vera R Campbell Foundation One six-month fellowship is available for a female social scientist from a developing nation, either a PhD candidate or post-doctoral scholar, whose work addresses women’s economic and social empowerment
Women’s Research & Education Institue (WREI) Congressional Fellows on Women and Public Policy, USA
WREI awards annual fellowships to a select number of graduate students with a proven commitment to equity for women. WREI Fellows gain practical policymaking experience and graduate credit as they work from January to August as Congressional legislative aides in Washington, D.C. Fellows receive stipends for tuition and living expenses. Established
Women in Engineering Scholarship, RMIT University, Australia
School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering Women in Engineering Scholarship If you are a woman commencing engineering studies in 2014 in the School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, this scholarship can provide you financial assistance within your first year of study. Value and duration: The scholarship pays $5000 for one
International Fellowships, American Association of University Women (AAUW), USA
The American Association of University Women (AAUW) empowers women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research. Our nonpartisan, nonprofit organization has more than 150,000 members and supporters across the United States, as well as 1,000 local branches and 700 college and university partners. Since AAUW’s founding in 1881, our
ARC – Real-time Soft Tissue Characterization and Modelling Research Scholarship, RMIT University, Australia
The School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering are investigating the issues associated with soft tissue characterization and modelling for surgery simulation and robotic-assisted minimally invasive surgery. This research project is funded by the ARC Discovery program. Value and duration The scholarship is valued at $25,000 per annum for 3 years. Number of
Elizabeth Neuffer Fellowship for Woman Journalist, USA
The International Women’s Media Foundation is now accepting applications for the 2011-12 Elizabeth Neuffer Fellowship, named for the 1998 IWMF Courage in Journalism Award winner and The Boston Globe correspondent who was killed in Iraq in May 2003. The fellowship will run from September 2011 to March 2012. This program, created
Ryerson Postdoctoral Fellowship in Spacecraft Dynamics and Control, Ryerson University, Canada
One Ryerson Post Doctoral Fellowship (RPDF) is immediately available from October 2009 in Spacecraft Dynamics and Control for three years (i.e. 36 months) renewable annually. The annual salary is $41,000 plus benefits (approximate total value of award $50,000). The aim of this RPDF program is to attract outstanding post-doctoral fellows
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Structural Composites with Carbon Nanotubes, Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais, Brazil
Fellowship opportunity Title: Posdoctor position in structural composites with carbon nanotubes Working area: Aerospace structures FAPESP process: 07/00013-4 Project title: Structural composites with epoxy resin and dispersion of multiwall carbon nanotube Field of knowledge: Aerospace Engineering Principal investigator: Evaldo José Corat Unit/Instituition: Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais Summary: The application of carbon nanotubes in structural composites seeks significant enhancement
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.