DAAD scholarships offer graduates the opportunity to continue their education in Germany with a postgraduate or continuing course of study. The scholarships also promote the exchange of experience and networking amongst colleagues.
Who can apply?
Foreign applicants who have gained a first university degree in the fields of Fine Art, Design, Visual Communication and Film at the latest by the time they commence their scholarship-supported study programme.
What can be funded?
In this study programme, you can complete
- a Master’s degree/postgraduate degree leading to a final qualification, or
- a complementary course that does not lead to a final qualification at a state or state-recognised German university of your choice (not an undergraduate course).
This programme only funds projects in the artistic and creative area. Other DAAD scholarship programmes are available for applicants from the field of History of Art or Art Studies or for artists with a scientific project.
Duration of the funding
- Between 10 and 24 months depending on the length of the chosen study programme
- Start: usually from 1st October, or earlier if a language course is taken prior to the study programme
- The scholarships are awarded for the duration of the standard period of study for the chosen study programme (up to a maximum of 24 months). To receive further funding after the first year of study for 2-year courses, proof of academic achievements thus far should indicate that the study programme can be successfully completed within the standard period of study.
- Applicants who are already in Germany in the first year of a postgraduate course at the time of application may apply for funding for their second year of study. In this case, it is not possible to extend the scholarship.
Complementary studies not leading to a final qualification:
- one academic year
- Start: usually from 1st October, or earlier if a language course is taken prior to the study programme
- A monthly payment of 850 euros
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
- One-off study allowance
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
Under certain circumstances, scholarship holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- Monthly rent subsidy
- Monthly allowance for accompanying members of family
To enable scholarship holders to learn German in preparation for their stay in the country, DAAD offers the following services:
- Payment of course fees for the online language course “Deutsch-Uni Online (DUO)” (www.deutsch-uni.com) for six months after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter
- if necessary: Language course (2, 4 or 6 months) before the start of the study visit; the DAAD decides whether to fund participation and for how long depending on German language skills and project. Participation in a language course is compulsory if the language of instruction or working language is German at the German host institution.
- Allowance for a personally chosen German language course during the scholarship period
- Reimbursement of the fees for the TestDaF test which has either been taken in the home country after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter or in Germany before the end of the funding period
- As an alternative to the TestDaF for scholarship holders who have taken a language course beforehand: the fee for a DSH examination taken during the scholarship period may be reimbursed.
A special DAAD committee made up of professors from German art, design and film schools makes the final decision about scholarships in the fields of Fine Art, Film, Design, Visual Communication and Film. The decision is based upon written applications and work samples which have to be submitted (see: www.daad.de/extrainfo).
Confirmation of a scholarship does not automatically guarantee admission to one of the universities. The individual university decides whether or not to offer scholarship holders a place. In most cases, applicants are required to take an entrance examination. Please find out in time about admission requirements and application deadlines and interview dates at your chosen university, and bear in mind that these may be several months before the planned start of your studies or even before the DAAD awards the scholarship. We cannot cover the costs of the entrance examination. If an applicant is offered a scholarship by the DAAD but fails to be admitted to a university, he/she may not make use of the scholarship that has already been awarded.
For more information, please visit: www.daad.de.
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Technical PhD Studentship, University of Manchester, UK
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships and Fellowships, Australia
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Living Allowance + Tuition Fees Doctoral Scholarships, University of Waikato, New Zealand
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Scholarship for Artists and Architects, DAAD Germany
These study scholarship aim to provide foreign applicants from the fields of Fine Arts, Design, Film, Music, Architecture as well as performing Arts (Drama, Direction, Dance, Chereography, etc) with an opportunity to complete a course of extension studies, without gaining a formal degree of qualification, or tp complete postgraduate or
Master Scholarships, University of the Arts London International Graduate Scholarships, UK
For the 2010/2011 academic year, the University of the Arts London is offering postgraduate scholarships for international students (excludes EU students), across our six Colleges. Scholarships will be awarded to international students with the ability and potential to make an exceptional contribution to the art, design, communication or performance worlds.
Postdoctoral Position in Stereoscopic 3D Cinema, York University, Canada
3D cinema is experiencing a burst of popularity unmatched since the early 1950’s. Along with the advances in projection technology and film capture we have seen a growing interest in the human perceptual factors that determine the success of a given technique. It is an exciting time to study stereoscopic
Master Scholarships in Fashion, Design, Visual Communication & Management, Istituto Europeo di Design, Italy & Spain
Istituto Europeo di Design – IED is the promoting subject of this international selection in its locations of IED Roma, IED Milano, IED Torino, IED Venezia, IED Firenze, IED Cagliari, Como Accademia Galli, IED Barcelona, IED Madrid. The purpose of the selection is to assign 38 scholarships for attendance of Master
DAAD Short-term Research Grants for University Academics and Scientists, Germany
These grants and scholarships aim to provide foreign academics and scientists working in higher education or at research institutes with an opportunity to carry out a research project at a state (public) or state-recognized higher education institution or non-university research institute in Germany. Duration Depending on the applicant's work schedule, the research
PhD Studentships in Film and Media, Bradford Media School, University of Bradford, UK
As part of continued investment in research, Bradford Media School (BMS) at the University of Bradford is offering two fully funded PhD studentships. City of Film Studentship: This studentship is linked to Bradford`s recent UNESCO City of Film award. The `City of Film` studentship can cover any aspect of the relationship between
DAAD Short-term Research Grants for Doctoral Candidates, Germany
Short-term research grants provide young foreign academics and scientists with an opportunity to carry out a research project or continuing education and training at a German higher education institution or non-university research institute, but without aiming for a formal degree/qualification. Duration Depending on the applicant's work schedule, the research stay will last
Art and Design Research Scholarship, University of Gloucestershire, UK
The University of Gloucestershire is pleased to be able to reward academic excellence and operates an extensive scholarship programme for international students. Open to all international fee paying students commencing a full-time PhD in Art and Design starting in 2016. Award value: 30% off tuition fee Term: Valid for 1 year only Eligible courses PhD
Master Scholarships in Fine and Applied Arts, Netherlands
Amsterdam School of the Arts De Theaterschool of the Amsterdam School of the Arts (AHK) Mauritskade 56, 1092 AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands Phone: +31 (0)20 586 96 36 Fax: 31- (0)20 586 96 37 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Internet: www.dasarts.nl DasArts - Master of Theatre Leading to: Master's degree Course duration: 2 years Next course begins: 1 September 2012 Academic application
Postdoctoral Fellowships, Max Planck Center for Visual Computing and Communication, Germany
The Max Planck Center for Visual Computing and Communications offers young scientists in information technology the opportunity to develop their own research program addressing important problems in areas such as image communication, computer graphics, geometric computing, imaging systems, computer vision, human machine interface, distributed multimedia architectures, multimedia networking, and visual
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.