The AUN/SEED-Net Project with support from Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and National University of Singapore/ Nanyang Technological University jointly provides scholarships for prospective applicants from AUN/SEED-Net Member Institutions to pursue direct doctoral degrees in engineering at National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanyang Technological University (NTU). The minimum requirement for admission is a bachelor’s degree with honours (at least 2nd Class Upper) or its equivalent. Bachelor-degree-holding applicants who fulfil the admission criteria will be considered for direct admission to the Ph.D. program. Departments and divisions supporting this program are as follows:
National University of Singapore (NUS):
- Chemical & Bio molecular Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Environmental Science & Engineering
- Industrial & Systems Engineering
- Materials Science & Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Nanyang Technological University (NTU):
- Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
In addition to the scholarship program, students under the Doctoral Degree Program in Singapore are encouraged to participate in other AUN/SEED-Net activities such as AUN/SEED-Net Regional Conference so as to create, maintain, and strengthen the linkage with other students and academics at other Member Institutions.
To increase the number of high quality doctoral degree holders in engineering at Member Institutions to contribute to a sustainable industrial development of ASEAN countries.
(1) Applicants must have at least a bachelor’s degree with honours (at least 2nd Class Upper) or its equivalent or master’s degree, and should be ranked within top 10% of the class for bachelor’s degree, in principle, (a certified document of class rank is required), or have a Grade Point Average (GPA) of more than 3 in the 4-scale grading system or more than 7.5 in the 10-scale grading system.
(2) Applicants are expected to submit their TOEFL and GRE scores in support of their applications. Average scores for NTU admission are TOEFL 600 (100 in internet-based/250 in computer-based test) or GRE 1,250 with 3.5 in writing or equivalent. Average scores for NUS admission are TOEFL 580-600 (85 in internet-based / 237-250 in computer-based test) ,or GRE minimum scores ranges from 1200 – 1400 for the verbal & quantitative sections and 3.5 – 4.0 for the analytical section. Applicants without English test score may be requested to sit for administered test or placement test. Exemption of English test score may be applied to applicants studying in or graduating from English-speaking environment.
(3) Applicants must be either young teaching staff or research staff of Member Institutions, or outstanding graduates of Member Institutions who are strongly motivated to have a professional career as teaching staff at Member Institutions.
(4) Applicants must be under the age of 35 at the time of enrolment and capable of carrying out independent research.
(5) Applicants who have already received another equivalent major award, scholarship or a salary to undertake a proposed course are not eligible for scholarships.
4. Commencement and Duration of Scholarships
The commencement of scholarship should be within the Japanese Fiscal Year 2011; that is, awarded students should commence their study within April 2011 – March 2012. The duration of the scholarship is strictly four (4) years, counting from the day of arrival at the Host Institution. Students who need more than four years to acquire a degree will be expected to self-finance during period of extension.
1) Downgrading of candidature can be considered case by case, subject to approval.
2) AUN/SEED-Net, in consultation with the Host Institution, may suspend or terminate the award of any student who fails to maintain satisfactory progress at the Host Institution.
3) Students who fail to obtain a PhD degree eventually may be liable to pay back the research fee and stipend subsidies received.
5. Target Number of Scholarships
Up to ten (10) scholarships at NUS and ten (10) scholarships at NTU for the Japanese fiscal year 2011.
6. Coverage of the Scholarships
Tuition fees, living expenses, health insurance, visa fee, and air travel expenses will be provided as per concerned Host Institution’s and AUN/SEED-Net regulations.
7. Application for Scholarships
It is advisable for applicants to study and follow the application procedure below.
(1) Applicants submit one set of AUN/SEED-Net’s Application Form (for scholarship) and two sets of Application Form (for university admission), along with two sets of required documents to the contact person at Member Institutions (as Sending Institutions) to which the applicants belong. The list of names of contact persons at Member Institutions (or Sending Institutions) is given in Attachment 3.
For NTU, the applicants must apply online at NTU’s website.
For NUS, the applications could be submitted by paper-based or web-based (online).
The application forms for each institution is available at:
AUN/SEED-Net’s Application Form http://www.seed-net.org/application_form.html
NTU Application Form http://admissions.ntu.edu.sg/graduate/Research/Whenyouapply/Pages/Applyonline.aspx
NUS Application Form http://www.gse.nus.edu.sg/research-based.html
Note: The application fee at NTU and NUS is waived for AUN/SEED-Net applicants. In case of online application, candidates are advised to carefully follow the instructions given on the website. Improper on-line application can cause delay or/and failure in admission. Two copies of the online-submitted application forms must be printed out and submitted to AUN/SEED-Net as instructed above.
(2) The contact person of each Sending Institution sends a collection of Application Forms to AUN/SEED-Net, together with an endorsement letter from the Dean or designated person endorsing the applications. Please note that sending application directly to AUN/SEED-Net without the endorsement letter will not be accepted. (Sending Institutions may submit the collection of application forms more than once within the deadline.)
(3) AUN/SEED-Net forwards the collection of NUS Applications to the contact person for admission screening. For NTU, the applicant name list will be forwarded to the contact person for application checking and screening.
(4) NUS/NTU screens applicants for admission and identifies potential advisor(s), then informs the admission result to AUN/SEED-Net.
(5) AUN/SEED-Net informs the result to respective Sending Institutions.
(6) Sending Institutions inform their successful applicants to confirm their acceptance of scholarships via Reply Form and submit missing documents, if any, to AUN/SEED-Net. Admission procedures and contractual matters begin.
Note: At the time of admission and scholarship screening, NUS/NTU and AUN/SEED-Net may contact Sending Institutions and/or applicants for missing documents or further information. NUS/NTU will conduct an interview with short-listed candidates.
8. Submission Deadline of the Application Form
Applications for the Doctoral Degree Program in Singapore should be submitted to and received, in printed forms, at the AUN/SEED-Net Project by February 15, 2011.
9. Scholarship Allocation
The scholarships, in principle, should be distributed across fields and across Sending Institutions.
Please submit the application to:
(Doctoral Degree Program in Singapore)
Faculty of Engineering, Bldg 2, Rm 109-110,
Bangkok 10330, THAILAND
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Full Tuition Fee Fashion Scholarships, International Fashion Academy, France
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
The Singapore-MIT Alliance (SMA) for Research and Technology Graduate Fellowships 2010, Singapore
The Singapore Ministry of Education has established 100 four-year fellowships for new doctoral students at NTU or NUS who will conduct their research at the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology Centre (SMART Centre). The establishment of this Fellowship Programme is intended to attract to NTU and NUS the best and
AUN/SEED-Net Graduate Degree Program Scholarship
Graduate Degree Program Scholarship JFY 2016 is now open!!! Opportunities for scholarships to study higher degree in engineering field at leading universities in ASEAN and Japan! AUN/SEED-Net Graduate Degree Program Scholarship JFY 2016 is now open for application for the following degree programs: Master's Degree Program (Master's) Doctoral Degree Sandwich Program (PhD SW) Integrated Graduate
SMA3 Graduate Fellowship by Singapore Ministry of Education
The Singapore Ministry of Education has established a four-year fellowship scheme for new doctoral students at NTU or NUS who will conduct their research at the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology Centre (SMART Centre). The establishment of this Fellowship Programme is intended to attract to NTU and NUS the best
Master and Doctoral Sandwich Program Scholarships, AUN/SEED-Net
AUN/SEED-Net is pleased to announce that Call for Applications for Master’s Degree Program and Doctoral Degree Sandwich Program Year 2018 are now open. The faculty staffs, students and interested applicants who would like to pursue a higher study in the following engineering fields and are endorsed from our 26 member
PhD Scholarships in Membrane Science, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore
There are several PhD scholarships available for Jan 2010 intake at the Singapore Membrane Technology Center (SMTC), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. If you are interested in membrane technology for water and environments, and would like to apply for PhD study at SMTC, please contact A/Prof. Wang Rong (rwang[ at ]ntu.edu.sg)
NTU-MBA Scholarship, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Who is eligible? You are eligible for this scholarship if you are an applicant seeking admission to the Nanyang MBA, (full time MBA programme only) at Nanyang Business School, NTU. Eligibility criteria Selection is based mainly on merit, and to a certain extent financial consideration You should not be on paid employment or accept
PhD Scholarships – Singapore University of Technology and Design
The SUTD PhD Programme offers you a chance to collaborate with the best in their fields. We offer the following in-house scholarships on a competitive basis to outstanding full-time PhD Programme applicants: SUTD President’s Graduate Fellowship (PhD) Open to all nationalities Full tuition fees Monthly stipend of: S$3,500 (Singapore Citizens) S$3,200 (Singapore
ASEAN Scholarships for Indonesia by Ministry of Education, Singapore
The ASEAN Scholarships for Indonesia is tenable for 4 years leading to the award of the Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education Advanced (GCE A) Level (or equivalent) certificate. The Scholarship is for studies in selected Singapore schools from Secondary Three to Pre-University Two and is renewed annually, subject to the satisfactory
NUS MBA Awards – National University of Singapore
Over S$1 million worth of NUS MBA Study Awards will be awarded to deserving full-time candidates of all nationalities and part-time Singaporean candidates who showcase well-rounded, exceptional and promising profiles. Scholarships will be given based on background, performance during the application process and overall leadership potential of the candidates. Dean's Award:
Fellowship Grant, Asian Civilisations Museum, Singapore
The Asian Civilisations Museum (ACM) in Singapore invites scholars specialising in Buddhist art or Indian Trade Textiles to apply for a 12-month research fellowship. The applications will be screened by a committee of eminent scholars and will be administered by the Research and Publication Unit (RPU) of ACM. The research fellowships
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.