Durham Doctoral Awards are tenable for three years full-time or five years part-time, and offer the following financial support package:
- an annual maintenance allowance at Research Council rates;
- fees at overseas rate.
In addition, departments may be able to offer paid teaching and/or research assistance opportunities.
Who We Are Looking For
We are looking for candidates with the following:
- a first-class or very good 2:1 undergraduate degree;
- an MA (completed or in progress) in a relevant subject area at distinction or near- distinction level;
- an outstanding academic record and research potential;
- a high-quality research project that can be completed within 3 years;
- a clear and credible link between the proposed research and the expertise of the supervisory team;
- a clear understanding of how the project fits with the research environments in which it will be carried out (you may wish to comment here on the relevance of the department, centre or institute).
Applicants from anywhere in the world are eligible for Durham Doctoral Studentships. Home/EU applicants to Durham should not apply for a DDS; instead they should for an AHRC Northern Bridge studentship (http://www.northernbridge.ac.uk/studentships/eligibility/). Northern Bridge applicants at Durham will automatically be entered into the DDS competition as well. Students from outside the UK/EU are not eligible to apply to Northern Bridge.
To be eligible for a Durham Doctoral Studentship, you must have applied to one of the Faculty’s departments or school for the 2019–20 academic year.
*Please note: that the award cannot be deferred and it is assumed that successful candidates will start in October 2019.
How to Apply
To apply for Durham Doctoral Studentship, you will need to complete Durham University’s on-line application form (https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/), and to state that you wish to be considered for a Durham Doctoral Studentship when the form asks you to indicate how you intend to fund your studies. If you have already submitted an application, please contact your prospective department and inform them that you wish to be considered for DDS funding.
All applicants applying for a studentship award need to include within the relevant section of the online application form a summary of the research project they plan to conduct. The proposal should not exceed 750 words in length (excluding bibliography) and must set out the following:
- The research questions or problems that the research will address.
- The research context, i.e. the past and current research and scholarship in the field.
- Bearing in mind the research context, the contribution to knowledge and understanding the project will make to the field, and a clear statement of the intellectual significance of the proposed research.
- The approach/methodology that will be employed and an explanation of why it is the most appropriate approach for addressing the research questions/problems.
* The resources and facilities that will be used during the research project, where they are located, and how they will be accessed.
The general deadline for receipt of applications is 5.00pm on Wednesday 9 January 2019.
***Please note: check your departmental website as they may set an earlier internal deadline for the receipt of applications. It is your responsibility to ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline of your chosen department.
Your prospective department will review your application and decide whether or not to nominate you for consideration by the Faculty’s Postgraduate Awards Panel, which is chaired by the Deputy Head of Faculty (Postgraduate). Departments must submit their nominations to the Faculty by Wednesday 13 February 2019. Results will begin to be announced by the Scholarships, Student Funding and Student Immigration Office by Monday 25 March 2019. Successful candidates will be contacted in the first instance by email, and unsuccessful applicants will be advised of the outcome by their department or school.
For more information, please visit: www.dur.ac.uk.
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Full Tuition Fee Fashion Scholarships, International Fashion Academy, France
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
Islamic Finance Scholarships, Durham University Business School, UK
Durham University Business School is delighted to offer one full fee scholarship for a self-funding student undertaking either MSc Islamic Finance or MSc Islamic Finance and Management, beginning October 2018. The scholarship is provided by the Durham Centre for Islamic Economics and Finance at the Durham University Business School. Value: Full
Masters Scholarships for International Students, Durham University Business School, UK
Durham University Business School is delighted to offer scholarships for International students, available across all MSc programmes. Value: Up to £5,000 – applied against academic tuition fees Eligibility: International applicants for MSc programmes in 2018/19 Candidates must hold an academic offer for an MSc programme by 31 May 2018 Quantity: 35 Further Information:
Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), Durham University, UK
Durham University is delighted to launch a new Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) scheme, designed to attract the most talented researchers in Europe and beyond, and build international networks of scholars with a common passion for the deepest theoretical questions and most pressing practical problems facing humanity. The JRF scheme is aimed
Master Scholarships, Open Society Foundations / Durham University, UK
The Open Society Foundations / University of Durham scholarships aim to provide opportunities for independent postgraduate study in the United Kingdom for students who have demonstrated both academic excellence and the potential to become leaders, decision-makers and opinion formers in their own country. Upon completion of their studies in the
Postgraduate Studentships, Centre for the Advanced Study of the Arab World, University of Edinburgh, UK
University of Edinburgh Postgraduate Studentships The Centre for the Advanced Study of the Arab World (CASAW) at the University of Edinburgh is pleased to invite applications for the following postgraduate studentships: One 1-yr Masters + 3-year PhD Studentship One 2-yr Masters Studentship The 1+3 studentship will be available to an outstanding student who wishes
Postdoctoral Position, Architectural Engineering and Construction, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA
Charles W. Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction, University of Nebraska at Lincoln Omaha, NE, United States Architectural Engineering (AE) focuses on the design, integration and coordination of building engineering systems, including structural systems; heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems; acoustical systems; and lighting and electrical systems. The University of Nebraska
AHRC (NWCDTP) Studentships, Lancaster University, UK
Eligibility: UK/EU & overseas PhD Studentships, covering tuition and maintenance (UK & EU if resident in the UK for at least 3 years) or fees only (EU/Overseas) for 3 years or 1+3. The Department of Linguistics and English Language at Lancaster University is part of the North West Consortium Doctoral Training Partnership
PhD Studentship, Imperial College London, UK
Studentships: up to £18,000 pa plus payment of fees Deadline: Friday 19th February Start date: October 2010 Imperial College Business School has a global reputation for academic excellence and provides the opportunity to learn from world-class faculty and cutting edge research. The recent RAE 2008 assessment places the Business School joint first for
PhD Studentships in Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS), Oxford Brookes University, UK
Three Fully funded 3-year PhD Studentships in Intelligent Transport Systems Intelligent Transport Systems Oxford Brookes University Doctoral Training Programme Stipend: £14,000 tax-free per annum UK/EU students (plus fees paid) £12,000 tax-free per annum International students (plus fees paid) Start Date: Sept/October 2009 Deadline: 10 July 2009 Eligibility: Applicants should have or hope to obtain a first class degree
University Doctoral Studentships, City University London, UK
City provides a number of fully-funded, full-time, three-year Doctoral Studentships to outstanding candidates as part of its ongoing investment in academic excellence. For entry in October 2012, we will be offering up to 70 new Doctoral Studentships. Eligibility University Doctoral Studentships are available to both UK/EU and overseas fee-paying students who will be
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.