Edinburgh College of Art (ECA) is delighted to announce its next round of scholarships to applicants for PhD research programmes in our five Schools: School of Art; School of Design; ESALA (Architecture and Landscape Architecture); History of Art; and the Reid School of Music.
Our Schools offer a rich and vibrant postgraduate research community with a broad range of academic research interests. ECA is proud of its world-leading research, which stretches across and beyond the disciplines of its five Schools covering Architecture and Landscape Architecture, Art, Design, History of Art, and Music.
Applications are invited for research projects that take advantage of the leading research expertise across the ECA Schools. ECA will aim to provide a supervisory team which will consist of at least two supervisors. Applicants may indicate potential supervisors in their application.
Scholarship award holders are expected to be energetic members of our postgraduate community, and engage with opportunities to present their work to the wider student and staff body during the period covered by their award. We offer our postgraduates a range of training and development opportunities appropriate to their programme of study.
We are offering three ECA PhD Scholarships, for the sum of £16,000 per year for three years full-time study (for part-time see below), open to new PhD students commencing study in September 2019.
Please note: the award is first used towards meeting the tuition fee costs for the successful applicant and for awards where there is any remaining balance this will be paid to the award holder as a stipend.
Applications for full-time and part-time PhD study will be considered. Awards made to part-time students however will be made pro-rata, therefore £8,000 per year over 6 years of prescribed study.
If wishing to commence a new programme of study in September 2019 you must ensure that you have fully completed and submitted your PhD programme application for admission using the University’s online system by no later than 25th January 2019.
Applicants must have submitted their fully completed PhD programme application in order to be considered for the scholarship.
Details on the scholarship application process will be published on this webpage as soon as possible: the scholarship application deadline will be 23.59 GMT on 1st February 2019
Please note: the Personal Statement for your scholarship application should clearly state why you are applying for this scholarship, why you feel your research proposal best fits with subject area expertise and what benefit the scholarship will have for your research. We are looking for evidence on how the PhD programme fits with your career aspirations, how you plan to take best advantage of the opportunities on offer and we are also looking for your thoughts on how you might contribute to the research community within ECA. Please also consider the selection procedure criteria noted below.
The ECA Selection Panel will score the applications in relation to the following marking criteria:
- Qualifications OR relevant professional experience
- Preparedness for research and training needs
- Quality of research proposal
- Supervisory expertise and research environment
- Training plans and provision
This is the Scottish Graduate School for Arts and Humanities (SGSAH) marking criteria for AHRC PhD Studentships. For further information on the marking criteria see the SGSAH guidance (pages 39-45) http://www.sgsah.ac.uk/media/media_618071_en.pdf
The ECA Selection Panel will meet in March 2019 to review the scholarship applications. All scholarship applicants will be contacted with the outcome by late March 2019. The successful applicants will be announced on the ECA website at the start of the 2019-20 academic year.
Please note: if successful in obtaining funding from any other University of Edinburgh or Research Council funding source, recipients of the ECA PhD Scholarship must relinquish their ECA PhD Scholarship.
Please contact the ECA Postgraduate Office – email@example.com – if you have any questions about the application process.
If you have an academic enquiry please contact the School Postgraduate Research (PGR) Director for the programme you wish to apply for:
- Architecture & Landscape Architecture – John Lowrey – J.Lowrey@ed.ac.uk
- Art – Florian Hecker – Florian.Hecker@ed.ac.uk
- Design – Dr Glyn Davis – Glyn.Davis@ed.ac.uk
- History of Art – Dr Tom Tolley – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Music –Prof Raymond MacDonald – Raymond.MacDonald@ed.ac.uk
- ECA Director of Postgraduate Research – Prof Neil Cox – Neil.Cox@ed.ac.uk
For more information, please visit: www.ed.ac.uk.
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Scholarships for International Students, Sweden
- Fully Funded Scholarships in Sociology and Politics, University of Bristol, UK
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Undergraduate Maths Scholarships for International Students, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Full Tuition Fee LLM Scholarships, Queen Mary University of London, UK
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Full Tuition Fee Fashion Scholarships, International Fashion Academy, France
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
Edinburgh Global Undergraduate Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
Scholarships are offered to students who are nationals of countries outwith the EU for undergraduate study in any subject offered by the University. A number of scholarships are available for the 2015-2016 session with each award worth £2,000 per year. Awards are tenable for the duration of the programme of study. Eligibility The
The Greenbank Scholarship, University of Edinburgh, UK
Four scholarships are available for postgraduate Masters study in any subject within the College of Humanities and Social Sciences for the 2016-2017 academic session. Each scholarship will have a value of £2,500 and will be tenable for one academic year. Eligibility The scholarships will be awarded to students who are accepted for admission
Undergraduate Scholarships 2010/2011, University of Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh Global Undergraduate Scholarships Up to 10 undergraduate scholarships are offered to students for undergraduate study in any subject offered by the University. The scholarships will be worth £1,000 per year and will be tenable for the duration of the programme of study. Eligibility The scholarships are competitive and will be awarded to
Edinburgh Global Master Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
The University of Edinburgh will offer a number of scholarships for postgraduate Masters study in any subject offered by the University for the 2016-2017 academic session. Each scholarship will have a value of £3,000 and will be tenable for one academic year. The scholarship will be deducted from your tuition fees. Eligibility The
Coca-Cola Undergraduate Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
The University of Edinburgh and Coca-Cola offer a number of scholarships for undergraduate study in any subject offered by the University. This competitive scholarship covers the full tuition fees and an annual maintenance allowance of £5,000. It is tenable for the duration of the programme of study. Eligibility The scholarship is open to
University of Edinburgh Business School Doctoral Scholarships, UK
The Business School offers up to six fully funded scholarships across any area of study within the doctoral programme. Deadline: 1st May 2017 Nationality Criteria: All countries Value: £14,500 per year plus fees over 4 years You must submit your online application for the PhD programme by the scholarship closing date. Your
MSc Scholarships in Science Communication and Public Engagement, University of Edinburgh, UK
The Deanery of Biomedical Sciences will offer five Master's scholarships for the 2016-2017 academic session. Each scholarship will have a value of £2,000 and will be tenable for one academic year. Eligibility The scholarships will be awarded to international (non-EU) students who are currently resident in one of the countries on the DAC
The University of Edinburgh Business School Scholarships, UK
The University of Edinburgh Business School is offering a number of scholarships covering part of the fees for students commencing study of one of our Masters courses in September 2017. These will be based on merit and available to all applicants for all the Business School taught MSc courses. Eligibility The scholarships
MSc Scholarships in Psychology, University of Edinburgh, UK
Two scholarships are available to Masters students commencing any subject in Psychology within the School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences. This scholarship covers fees at the UK/EU level for the one year duration of any MSc programme in Psychology. Eligibility The scholarship is open to applicants from any country, who are
Kirby Laing International Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK
Up to three Kirby Laing International Scholarships are available to students domiciled in the ‘Majority World’ who are accepted for postgraduate masters study in the School of Divinity for the 2018-19 academic session. Award The scholarships will cover tuition fees and provide a maintenance allowance of £12,000. Eligibility The scholarship will be awarded to
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.