For the purpose of promoting overseas research in Korean studies, the Korea Foundation offers program support for the Fellowship for Field Research to provide eminent overseas Korean studies scholars and experts in relevant fields with the opportunity to conduct onsite field research in Korea and access resource materials.
Overseas researchers of comparative/case studies in Korean studies or Korea-related areas in the field of humanities or social sciences who apply to one of the following criteria:
- Doctoral candidate who has completed his/her requisite coursework and is in the process of writing his/her doctoral dissertation
- Lecturer or researcher with at least five years of experience in teaching or research at a university or research institute
- Assistant professor or an individual currently in a professional/research field with over 10 years and less than 20 years of career experience (only for PhD degree holders)
- Associate / full professor or an individual currently in a professional/research field with over 20 years of career experience (only for PhD degree holders)
Number of Selected Fellows : Approx. 30 per year
The field research period should begin between March and February of the following year (duration: minimum 1 month – maximum 12 months).
The length of the fellowship period is to be determined by the applicant, however it could be adjusted according to the result by the KF reviewing committee. The start date of the fellowship period should be no later than November 30.
- Application Period: July 1, 2015 to August 31, 2015
- Notification of Results: December 2015
Notification date is subject to be changed without any prior notice.
Obligations of Fellows
All fellows are required to submit a final report on their research (in thesis format) in accordance with the KF standard report form before the conclusion of the fellowship period, and an outcome of field research in Korea as follows:
- PhD candidates: PhD dissertation must be completed and PhD degree must be obtained within 2 years after the fellowship period.
- Professors, Lecturers, Researchers: Must publish an article in an academic journal registered in A&HCI/SSCI or that is officially registered at a country’s ministry of education (within 2 year after the fellowship period) or a monograph (within 3 years after the fellowship period).
The Korea Foundation will monitor research progress annually for three years following the conclusion of the fellowship period. Fellows who do not fulfill their responsibilities will not be eligible for future support from the Korea Foundation.
Provision of incentive
- For publication of an article in an A&HCI/SSCI journal within two year after the conclusion of the fellowship period ? USD1,000
- For publication of a monograph within three years year after the conclusion of the fellowship period: USD2,000.
Important Reminders on Fellowship
- Applicants must be able to conduct their research in Korean or English.
- For Korean nationals, only those who have acquired permanent residency status in a foreign country are eligible to apply.
- Individuals under the following circumstances are not eligible for consideration:
- Majored in natural sciences, medicine, or engineering
- Currently studying or conducting research in Korea
- Seeks to improve Korean language ability or become a regular student at a university in Korea
- Has received KF Field Research Fellowship support or other research grant from other Korean institutions within the past three years
- The fellowship period approved by the KF may differ from the applicant’s proposed schedule.
- Accommodations and research facilities should be arranged by the fellow in cooperation with his/her research affiliation institute. (KF does not provide housing accommodation)
- Fellows must have completed prior literature review in their home countries and begin writing the thesis after coming to Korea for the fellowship period.
- Fellows may not receive concurrent support from another organization during the fellowship period. Once it has been verified that the fellow is receiving concurrent support, KF support will be cancelled
Ms. Jin-young Chun, Korean Studies Department
Regarding the KF Onliine Application System: KF Help Desk (email@example.com)
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Full Tuition Fee Fashion Scholarships, International Fashion Academy, France
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
Pony Chung Fellowship, Research Institute of Korean Studies, Korea University
The Research Institute of Korean Studies (RIKS) at Korea University, with support from the Pony Chung Foundation, established the ‘Pony Chung Fellowship’ for Young Korean Studies Scholars. The goal of this program is to provide young international scholars in the field of Korean Studies with financial support, a suitable research
Master Degree Scholarships from KT&G Foundation, Yonsei University, Korea
Yonsei University. KT&G Fellowship at GSIS, for Turkish, Iranian, Russian, Kazakhstani, Indonesian, Yonsei 2010 The KT&G Foundation offers scholarships to the Turkish, Iranian, Russian, Kazakhstani, Indonesian students who seek a master’s degree at the Graduate School of International Studies (GSIS) of Yonsei University: Eligibility and Conditions Degree: A Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent
Doctoral & Postdoctoral Fellowship, Korea Foundation
This fellowship support program is designed to encourage Korean Studies research by doctorate-level students and prominent scholars through the sponsorship of their visit to Korea so that they can conduct onsite field research, gather pertinent data, access resource materials, and develop personal relations with Korean specialists. Eligibility Doctorate-level students and scholars conducting
Albert Einstein Fellowships for Outstanding Young Thinkers, Germany
Call for Applications The Einstein Fellowship 2015 Awarded by the Einstein Forum and the Daimler and Benz Foundation The Einstein Forum and the Daimler and Benz Foundation are offering a fellowship for outstanding young thinkers who wish to pursue a project in a different field from that of their previous research. The
Ancora Foundation Graduate Fellowship, University of Cambridge, UK
Ancora Foundation Graduate Fellowship at the University of Cambridge This fellowship is a collaboration between the Ancora Foundation and Cambridge Overseas Trust to provide two fellowships annually for Indonesians to study for a one-year master’s program in any field at the University of Cambridge. Cambridge, one of the world’s oldest universities,
Master Scholarships in Transport and Communications, Netherlands
Foundation STC-Group / Netherlands Maritime University Netherlands Maritime University P.O. Box 63140, 3002 JC Rotterdam, The Netherlands Phone: 31 - (0)10-4486060 Fax: 31 - (0)10-4486061 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Internet: www.stc-nmu.eu Master Shipping and Transport Takes (partly) place in: South-Korea, Gwangyang Leading to: Master's degree Course duration: 18 months Next course begins: 24 September 2012 Academic application deadlines: 31 January 2012 Fellowship application
Doctoral Fellowship Program in Law and Social Science by American Bar Foundation, USA
ABF Doctoral Fellowship Program Doctoral Fellowships in Law and Social Science 2010-2011 Purpose The American Bar Foundation is committed to developing the next generation of scholars in the field of law and social science. The purpose of the fellowships is to encourage original and significant research on law, the legal profession, and legal
Amelia Earhart Fellowship for Women in Aerospace Science, Zonta International, USA
Globally, women make up less than 30 percent of the workforce in physics, computer sciences and engineering, according to U.S. News & World Report. In an effort to carry out its mission that women have access to all resources and are represented in decision-making positions on an equal basis with
PhD Fellowships, Werner Siemens Foundation, Switzerland
Excellent students from all over the world are encouraged to apply for a prestigious fellowship Werner Siemens-Foundation. The aim of the fellowships which are sponsored by the Werner Siemens-Foundation is to select and promote highly talented graduate students in the area of Life Sciences. The fellowships offer direct access to
Korean Language Training Fellowship, Korea Foundation
Since 1993, the Korea Foundation has offered an annual fellowship program for Korean language training for the general promotion and dissemination of the Korean language, which is the basis of promoting Korean studies and Korea-related activities overseas. In accordance with the guidelines listed below, the Foundation is currently accepting applications
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.