FHI launches new scholarship programme for DPhil students starting at the University of Oxford. We will be awarding up to 8 scholarships for scholars whose research aims to answer crucial questions for improving the long-term prospects of humanity. Candidates will be considered from a range of disciplines, including computer science, economics, international relations, mathematics, philosophy, and public policy. Our goal is to choose the very best students and support them as they begin work on some of the greatest challenges the human race faces.
About the scholarship
As one of the recipients of the Future of Humanity Institute scholarship, you will become part of a group of exceptional students working on crucial questions for humanity across a range of disciplines.
You will receive:
- Fully paid University fees
- A generous grant for living expenses of at least £19,000 per year
- Desk space in the Future of Humanity Institute’s office, which is shared with the Global Priorities Institute and Centre for Effective Altruism
- Access to regular seminars and working groups, including those run under FHI’s Research Scholars Programme
- Mentorship and support from FHI’s researchers including Dr Owen Cotton-Barratt, the co-ordinator of the scholarship programme
- The opportunity to network with world-leading researchers and to participate in social occasions and lively lectures held at FHI
The scholarship will be awarded for the duration of your course, subject to satisfactory academic progress.
To be eligible for a Future of Humanity Institute scholarship you must be starting a full- or part- time DPhil programme in the 2019/2020 academic year in a relevant discipline. You can be either a Home/EU or an overseas student. Your supervisor does not need to be attached to the Future of Humanity Institute.
FHI is an interdisciplinary institute. To be eligible for the scholarship your research should be aimed at answering crucial questions for humanity through the lens of any of 70 eligible programmes. The eligible programmes are across all divisions of the University: Humanities, MPLS, Medical Sciences, and Social Sciences. They include computer science, engineering, neuroscience, mathematics, philosophy, history, public policy, international relations, sociology, law, and economics. You can download the full list of eligible programmes on this page.
There will be a weak preference for candidates working in existing FHI research areas of: global priorities research and macrostrategy; AI strategy; AI safety; and reducing catastrophic risks from biotechnology.
Please see here for the list of eligible courses: Eligible programmes (FHI scholarship)
Applications and selection
More on the applications and selection process will be uploaded here in due course. Please check this page at a later date for further details.
There is no separate application process for this scholarship at the initial stages.
You must submit your application for your chosen course by the relevant deadline, no later than January 25th 2019. You do not need to mention your interest in FHI’s scholarship programme in your course application. You can register your interest here if you would like us to actively ask your department whether recommendation is appropriate. You do not need to mention your interest in FHI’s scholarship programme in your course application.
We will consider candidates who have been awarded a place on an eligible DPhil programme and whose proposed research topic is relevant to FHI.
We will contact promising candidates to take part in a selection process for an FHI scholarship by providing additional materials for consideration – this will include an outline of how your proposed research relates to the aims of FHI. We will then interview promising candidates.
After we have conducted interviews, our selection committee will make the final decision on scholarships. We expect to offer the scholarships in April 2019.
Due to the volume of applications we expect to receive, unfortunately we cannot contact unsuccessful applicants individually or provide feedback on applications.
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please visit: www.fhi.ox.ac.uk.
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Full Tuition Fee Fashion Scholarships, International Fashion Academy, France
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
Oxford-Oxitec Graduate Scholarship in Zoology, University of Oxford, UK
This will be the first year that we will offer the Oxford - Oxitec Graduate Scholarship in Zoology, which has been made possible by funding from the University and Oxitec, a spinout company of the University that works to develop better ways to control insect pests that spread diseases and
Postdoctoral Research Position in Mathematics, University of Oxford, UK
We invite applications for a postdoctoral research position, funded by the John Fell Fund (Oxford University Press) and the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Global Research Partnership (GRP), to work with Dr Dominic Vella at the Oxford Centre for Collaborative Applied Mathematics (OCCAM) in the Mathematical Institute
Oxford-NaturalMotion Graduate Scholarship, University of Oxford, UK
This year we are able to offer two Oxford NaturalMotion Graduate Scholarships in Zoology, which has been made possible by funding from the University and through the success of one of the Department of Zoology's previous graduate students, Torsten Reil, who founded NaturalMotion Ltd. NaturalMotion Ltd develops computational methods for
Mica and Ahmet Ertegun Graduate Scholarship in Humanities, University of Oxford, UK
The Mica and Ahmet Ertegun Graduate Scholarship Programme funds full-time graduate degrees in various subjects in the Humanities. Established in 2012, the programme is supported by the generosity of Mica Ertegun. The scholarship will cover 100% of University and college fees and a grant for living costs (of at least £14,057).
100 Scholarships from University of Oxford, UK
The Clarendon Fund is the University of Oxford's flagship scholarship scheme. Awards are based on academic excellence and potential. The awards are sponsored by Oxford University Press and are only available at the University of Oxford. Clarendon scholarships are tenable at any college of the University. However, over half of all colleges
Osmaston Scholarship in Forestry, St Cross College, University of Oxford, UK
St Cross College invites applications for this scholarship from students who will begin studying at the University of Oxford in the academic year 2011-2012 for a postgraduate research degree in either the School of Geography and the Environment, the Environmental Change Institute, the Department of Zoology
EP Abraham Scholarship in Chemical, Biological / Life and Medical Sciences, University of Oxford, UK
St Cross College invites applications for this scholarship from students who will begin studying for a DPhil research degree in the chemical, biological/life and medical sciences at the University of Oxford in the academic year 2014 - 2015 and who list St Cross College as their first choice college on their Graduate
St Cross Scholarship in Global Health Science, University of Oxford, UK
St Cross College is pleased to offer a Scholarship in Global Health Science for the academic year 2014-15. This Scholarship, worth £3,700 for one year, is intended to provide financial assistance to an academically meritorious graduate student who has been accepted into both the MSc in Global Health Science programme at
Unilever Graduate Scholarship in the Sciences, St Cross College, University of Oxford, UK
St Cross College invites applications for this scholarship from students who will begin studying for a DPhil research degree in the sciences at the University of Oxford in the academic year 2014 - 2015 and who list St Cross College as their first choice college on their Graduate Admissions application. The Unilever
Godfrey John Tyler Scholarship in Economics, St Cross College, University of Oxford, UK
St Cross College invites applications for this scholarship from students who will begin studying for a DPhil in Economics at the University of Oxford in the academic year 2014 - 2015 and who list St Cross College as their first choice college on their Graduate Admissions application. The Godfrey John Tyler
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.