Hungary through the Balassi Institute, the Hungarian Scholarship Board Office offers scholarships for foreign students and lecturers in higher education institutions as well as research fellows who intend to gain further professional experience in Hungarian higher education institutions or research institutes. Scholarships can be applied for in two different ways:
- Work plans and bilateral agreementsThe Office of the Hungarian Scholarship Board (hereinafter HSB) welcomes applications by citizens of countries (and territories) that have a valid/effective educational work plan with Hungary, or a bilateral agreement signed by the Hungarian Ministry of National Recourses and the relevant ministry of the given country (or territory). Dissemination of all information regarding the application procedure and deadlines as well as assessment and shortlisting of applications is conducted by the scholarship authority or the Ministry of Education in the relevant home country (or territory). Applications forwarded by partner scholarship offices shall have a priority. However, applications submitted directly to the HSB Office shall also be accepted in the framework of the Pool system outlined below.
- Scholarship PoolIn 2005 the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Hungary established the ‘Scholarship Pool’ allowing for applications for all HSB scholarship types from the following countries/territories:
Albania, Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Cyprus, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Korean Republic, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, The Netherlands, Norway, Republic of Chile, Republic of the Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Romania, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States of America.
Citizens of the following countries may only apply through their national scholarship offices, on the basis of bilateral agreements: Columbia, Yemen, Mongolia, Palestine and Vietnam.
The following scholarships are available in the academic year 2012-2013:
A – semester/partial studies (3-10 months)
Available for: undergraduate (BA/BSc) and graduate (MA/MSc) students (enrolled at foreign higher education institutions), especially those majoring in Hungarian Language and Literature and students participating in a single degree track university programme (such as General Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmaceutical Studies, Veterinary Studies, Architecture, Studies in Law, etc.). Before application, students are required to have completed minimum two semesters at their home institutions. For ‘Type A’ scholarship students may apply only on one occasion during their Bachelor’s studies, and once during their Master’s studies.
B – postgraduate studies, research (3-21 days or 1-10 months)
Available for: applicants holding a Master’s degree or an equivalent university degree, including PhD students who intend to do research for their dissertation and wish to stay in Hungary for less than 10 months. (However, PhD students cannot earn credits during the scholarship period at the host university.)
C/1 – full PhD programme (36 months)
Only students proficient in Hungarian can apply. The scholarship is conditional upon successful entrance exam / admission to the respective doctoral school.
C/2 – partial PhD studies (10 months)
Applicants must be enrolled in a PhD programme at an accredited higher education institution in their home country or in a foreign country (but not in Hungary).
D – postdoctoral studies, research (1-10 months)
Applicants must hold a PhD or an equivalent degree.
E – research stay (3-21 days or 1-10 months)
Available for associate professors or high-ranking academics as well as researchers holding minimum a PhD or an equivalent degree.
F – summer courses in the summer of 2012 (2-4 weeks)
Only courses published in the list of ‘Summer Courses 2012’ on the HSB website can be selected. You may select three different courses but your scholarship will allow you to participate only in one course.
CASES OF NON-ELIGIBILITY
- Foreign citizens with a residence/immigration permit or in the course of applying for such a permit in Hungary
- Foreign citizens with permanent residence in Hungary
- Foreign citizens employed on a permanent basis as defined by the Hungarian Labour Law
- Students in employment applying for part-time or correspondence study programmes
- Students applying for programmes not financed by the Hungarian State
- Students admitted to higher education host institutions where tuition fee is required.
Scholarships offered by the HSB allow for studies or research in any field of arts or sciences at an accredited Hungarian higher education institution or research institute to be determined in advance.
Semester/partial and postgraduate studies as well as doctoral programmes must be carried out in higher education institutions or research institutes where no tuition fee is required.
For ’type A scholarship’ students may apply only on one occasion in the course of their Bachelor’s studies, and once during their Master’s studies. Type A (semester/partial studies) and type C1/C2 (full PhD and partial PhD studies) scholarships cannot be extended. Type B (postgraduate studies), D (postdoctoral studies, research), and E (research stay) scholarships may be extended exceptionally, only under special circumstances, on one occasion.
HSB scholarships are valid only for studies and research purposes in Hungary. Scholarship-holders must stay in Hungary during the entire period of their studies or research.
Scholarships are awarded for the summer of 2012 or the academic year 2012-2013 and must be completed by 30 June 2013 at the latest.
A list of the national scholarship authorities (‘Foreign Partners’), the list of summer university courses as well as other useful information can be found on the HSB website (www.scholarship.hu). Scholarships are awarded by the Hungarian Minister of National Resources based on the decisions of the Hungarian Scholarship Board. The list of successful applicants for scholarship types A to E is expected to be published on the HSB website by the end of June 2012 and for the summer university courses by the beginning of June 2012. Applicants will be informed of the result in an official letter posted or sent via e-mail. The HSB office shall not accept appeals against the decision.
Applications must be submitted in two ways:
- 1. ONLINE through the HSB website,
- 2. In printed version sent by post.
Note: Applications must be submitted in both ways. Our office will only accept applications sent by post as well as through the online system by the given deadline.
Online application: You have to register and upload your application material through the HSB website
Before starting the online procedure please read our Online Application Guidelines carefully.
Deadline of the online application: 26th April 2012 (Thursday midnight)
Printed version: must be sent by post to the following address:
Balassi Intézet, MÖB Iroda
1519 Budapest Pf. 385
Deadline: Thursday, 26th April 2012 (as per postmark)
Note: For those applying under the system of bilateral agreements the application deadline might be earlier, as determined by the national scholarship office of the given country.
We suggest that applicants keep a copy of the application documents. Incomplete applications or those submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Full Tuition Fee Fashion Scholarships, International Fashion Academy, France
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
Global IT Program Korea – Ajou University
Department of Computer Engineering, Graduate School, Ajou University, Suwon, Korea Global IT Program is established by MoKE (Ministry of Knowledge Economy) of Korea. Our department has got received 6 Master’s degree scholarship positions from MoKE this year. The program also offers students fully-paid 6-month internship in the prominent small-and-medium-sized IT companies
KGSP Graduate Scholarships, Daejeon University, Korea
KGSP Application (University Quota) Period: Jan. 28. 2013 ~ Mar. 15. 2013 Contact: Lee, Chang-Won, +82-42-280-2767, email@example.com Jang, Eun-Bi, +82-42-280-2124, firstname.lastname@example.org Campus Guide Residence halls in Daejeon University are comprised of the 1st Residence Hall, the 2nd Residence Hall, International Residence Hall and the 4th Residence Hall and they are recognized as one of the
Undergraduate Scholarships for International Students, Georgia College & State University, USA
International Student Scholarships and Assistantships at Georgia College and State University - up to $19,000 per academic year for undergraduates Georgia College & State University is proud to announce International Student Scholarships for the Spring 2011 semester. Each of these awards is approximately $19,000/year at the undergraduate level. Our university offers challenging
GKS (Global Korea Scholarship) for Master Students, Daejeon University, Korea
Daejeon University in South Korea is looking for bright Graduate students interested in learning Korean and pursuing their higher education in South Korea. This is scholarship program running by Korean government. The deadline for application is 18th March. Below are some of the details covered in the Scholarship. Qualification Foreigners whose parents are
China University of Geosciences (Wuhan) International Freshman Scholarships
To encourage and support outstanding international students to pursue a bachelor’s degree in China university of Geosciences (Wuhan), China University Geosciences (Wuhan) (CUG) has established a CUG International Freshman Scholarship. Available for all international students who intend to pursue a bachelor’s degree in CUG Program Introduction Program duration: The program lasts 4
Bachelor Scholarships in Chemical Engineering, Tianjin University, China
International Scholarship of Bachelor Program in Chemical Engineering (ISBCE) consists of 15 full scholarships and 10 partial scholarships to support the international students who study in School of Chemical Engineering and Technology. The full scholarship (RMB48, 800 in 2017) provides: Tuition fees for four years for a bachelor’s degree (RMB20,000/year) Part
PhD Student Positions, San Diego State University, California, USA
Ph.D. Student Positions at San Diego State University, California, USA Ph.D. student positions in Engineering Sciences or Computational Sciences are offered in the Powder Technology Laboratory (www.ptl.sdsu.edu) – a world leading center in sintering research at the San Diego State University. Ph.D. projects will be of an interdisciplinary nature focused on the
The Komen College Scholarship Program, USA
In 2001, Susan G. Komen for the Cure established the college scholarship program to help students who would find attending college to be a significant financial burden due to the loss of a parent or guardian to breast cancer or their own breast cancer diagnosis at age 25 or younger.
Master Scholarships in Chemical Engineering, Tianjin University, China
As ranked No. 1 in the National Discipline Assessment by the Ministry of Education, Chemical Engineering of Tianjin University offers quality master program in either English or Chinese with scholarships for international students. About ISMCE The full scholarship (Around RMB58,000 per year) provides: Tuition fees Living allowance The partial scholarship (Around RMB46,000 per
International Student Ambassador Scholarships, Iowa State University, USA
International Student Ambassador Scholarships are awarded to students with exceptional leadership qualities and a desire to positively represent both their home country and Iowa State University to prospective students. Current ISU International Student Ambassadors may be contacted here. Applicants will be considered for the following award levels: Gold $7,000/year Renewable Cardinal $5,000/year Renewable Leadership
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.