The Special Scholarship Program (SSP) was established in 2003 in order to support the advanced research of the university by enlisting the help of highly capable students especially students from foreign countries. Every year in April and October, the university enrolls selected doctoral students for specific research projects. The students pursue the doctoral course in English (excl. Japanese students) while at the same time assisting their host professor as a research assistant (RA). Through this program KUT wishes to expand and deepen international ties with academic and educational institutions all over the world.
PROGRAM OF STUDY
Doctoral Program (3 years)
Department of Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering
MEDIUM OF STUDY
NUMBER OF STUDENTS TO BE ADMITTED
No more than 3 SSP students can be enrolled concurrently for each project leader. See the SSP project list for details of which projects currently have places available for SSP students.
*The term will be extended for increments of one year up to a total of three years, unless the university terminates the SSP student status for any of the reasons stated in paragraph 13 below, Termination of SSP Student Status.
- The SSP student must work 50 hours per month for a specific research project at the university.
- The SSP student must report his/her study and research achievements to the dean of the Graduate School of Engineering at the end of each semester. The submitted report will be evaluated by the dean of the Graduate School of Engineering.
- Exemption from 30,000 yen entrance examination fee, 300,000 yen enrollment fee and 535,800 yen/year tuition fee
- To support living expenses, 150,000 yen/month is paid as salary for research project work. *You must pay some amount of taxes from this salary.
- 150,000 yen is provided for travel and initial living costs. (given only to international applicants who are living outside Japan, and who have, or have the intention to acquire, “Student” status of Japanese residence at the time of entry into Japan)
Applicants are required to meet all of the following conditions
- To hold a degree from an accredited institution comparable to the master’s degree offered at KUT after 18 years of education, or to be scheduled to acquire such a degree before the KUT enrollment date
- To be 35 years old or under at the time of enrollment
- To have an excellent academic record and strong bachelor’s and master’s degrees from reputable universities
- To have the intention, adequate knowledge and research skill to work in one of the designated research projects
- To have high English proficiency
- Choose one or two research project(s) from the SSP Research Project List
- Complete and submit all required documents by post
The submitted documents will be carefully examined in the course of the first screening. Only applicants who are successful in that screening will then be examined in such forms as an interview, an English written exam, an academic achievement written exam in the specialized field required for the conduct of the selected research project, etc. The interview and other formalities will be held at a place that will be appointed separately (The examination for the foreign applicants will be conducted hopefully in their country. However, the examination for the applicants residing in Japan will be conducted at Kochi University of Technology (KUT)).
- If you are still working towards your master’s degree, a verified original master’s degree certificate in English /Japanese from your university will be required before your enrollment can be completed. If you are not able to produce such a document, you will not be enrolled.
- Students who join the projects in Economics and Management will conduct their research at Eikokuji campus which is located in down town Kochi City, 25 km from the main campus (Kami campus), and those students are also required to take classes once or twice a week at main campus. The most common means of transportation between Eikokuji campus and Kami campus are bus or JR train, and it takes around one hour.
- If your application to KUT is successful and your resident status in Japan is “Student”, KUT will assist you in finding appropriate single accommodation.
At Kami campus, you can live in the International House if there is vacancy.
At Eikokuji campus, International students can receive assistance in finding accommodation from the Student Support Division.
If you wish to bring your family members and live with them in Japan, or if you wish to change your accommodation, you must initiate your own apartment rental.
In any case, you need to bear your own costs.
·International House (Kami Campus)
·Corporate-contract apartments (Eikokuji Campus)
·Renting a room individually (Kami Campus)
·Renting a room individually (Eikokuji Campus)
- To complete the doctoral program as a SSP Student, you need to meet all of the following conditions.
a: 3 year’s enrollment in a doctoral program at KUT
b: 10 or more doctoral course credits earned
c: Successful completion of the doctoral dissertation defense after receiving a preliminary assessment held more than one year in advance
d: Two or more papers in high level peer-reviewed journals, published at least two months before completion of the program; this is the basic requirement for holding a dissertation defense.
- Students enrolled in this program can obtain Doctor of Engineering or Doctor of Philosophy depending on the research field.
- Newly admitted foreign doctoral students will be charged about 33,000 yen as insurance premium. The students who do not have “Student” status of Japanese residence will be charged 3,000 yen as insurance premium (The price is subject to change).
- 3,000 yen will be charged as dues for alumni association membership (The price is subject to change). The students who do not have “Student” status of Japanese residence will be charged 20,000 yen for alumni association membership.
- In any case where a SSP student is selected as a recipient of another institution’s scholarship, his/her monthly pay as described in “7. Benefits” 2. will be adjusted according to KUT’s rule.
- The abstract of your doctoral dissertation and the results of your dissertation defense will be published on the web within 3 months after the conferment of your doctoral degree, and the full text of your dissertation will be published on the web within 1 year after the conferment of your doctoral degree.In cases where it seems inappropriate to publish a doctoral dissertation on the web due to a patent application related to the research, or some other special reasons, Kochi University of Technology may suspend the publication of the full text of a dissertation, and publish only its abstract on the web. Even in such cases, if publication of the full text of a dissertation is requested, and Kochi University of Technology agrees to the necessity, the full text of your doctoral dissertation may be disclosed.
- Please note that KUT takes trust, truthfulness and academic integrity very seriously and we therefore expect applications to contain only true and complete information about the applicant. Applicants should be aware that KUT will take stern, corrective measures such as payment of exempted tuition fees, or even expulsion from the university, against any student found to have applied with false, incomplete, or missing information, including omission of information regarding educational background.
- In the event that Kochi University of Technology alters the system of SSP, the terms and conditions will be revised accordingly.
TERMINATION OF SSP STUDENT STATUS
SSP student status will be terminated in the following cases
- In the case where a student’s report, submitted in accordance with term “6. Obligations” 2., is assessed as being below the standard for SSP students.
- In the case of behavior which is deemed inappropriate for a SSP student.
All inquiries and application documents must be addressed to:
International Relations Division
Kochi University of Technology
Tosayamada, Kami City
Kochi 782-8502, JAPAN
For more information, please visit: scholarshipstips.com.
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for International Students, University of the West of England, UK
- Fully Funded GCE A Level Scholarships for Indonesian Students, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Living Allowance + Tuition Fees Doctoral Scholarships, University of Waikato, New Zealand
- Fully Funded Art Major Asian Scholarships, Korea National University of Arts, South Korea
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Full Tuition Fee LLM Scholarships, Queen Mary University of London, UK
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Fully Funded Doctoral Scholarships in Engineering, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- Fully Funded Undergraduate Scholarship for Student from Developing Country, University of Westminster, UK
Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship, Japan
With the goals of further strengthening the fundamentals of international research into Japan and deepening understanding of Japan, the Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship invites leading international researchers of the Japanese language, Japanese language education, Japanese literature and Japanese culture to Japan to conduct residential research. Eligible research Japanese language Japanese
Short Term Exchange Program (STEP) – Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology (TUAT)
Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology (TUAT) is currently offering Short Term Exchange Progam (STEP) with three main exchange programs in 2013: Special Auditing Undergraduate Student (3rd and 4th year) Special Auditing Graduate Student (Master program) Special Research Graduate for Spring (Master & Doctoral) This program is aimed to provide international students with opportunities
Doctoral Fellowships, Topology of Technology, Darmstadt University of Technology, Germany
The interdisciplinary post-graduate program “Topology of Technology” at the Darmstadt University of Technology, Germany, announces 10 doctoral fellowships, starting Nov. 1, 2009, and running for 2 years (with an possible option of a third year). The program is organized by teachers from the subjects of history, sociology, philosophy, literature and language,
Master and PhD Scholarships, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Saitama University, Japan
Applications are invited for graduate programs (Masters and PhD) and scholarships for international students at of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering of Saitama University Japan. The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering of Saitama University, as part of the Graduate School of Science and Engineering, offers Master of
International Graduate Program, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan
Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tokyo Tech) launched its International Graduate Program in October 2007 as an opportunity for qualified international students, who may have little or no knowledge of the Japanese language, to enroll in Tokyo Tech’s Master’s or Doctoral Programs and pursue an advanced degree in Japan. With a diverse
Master & Doctoral Scholarships, Waseda University, Japan
Application documents for Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship and Asia Special Scholarship. Faculty of Science and Engineering, Waseda University offers International Graduate Program in English for foreign students. For September 2011 intake, we will allocate approximately 15 scholarships for Doctoral and Master`s candidates in total. Detailed eligibility is listed as follows: Japanese Government
Bachelor, Master, Doctoral and Postdoctoral Scholarships for Indonesian Students by Russian Federation Government
In the 2010/2011 academic year the Russian Federation Government provides 35 scholarships for citizens of the Republic of Indonesia. Scholarships awarded for levels of S-1 (Bachelor) and S-2 (Master) as much as 25 scholarships. As for Level S-3 (Kandidatura), Post-Doctoral (Doktorantura) 10 scholarships. Courses (specialization) offered, including Law Studies, Political Science,
Master & Doctoral Scholarships, Tshwane University of Technology, South Africa
Tshwane University of Technology is pleased to announced the TUT Master’s and Doctoral Full time scholarships for unemployed postgraduate students for 2012. Candidates pursuing their studies or research work in areas such as social and human sciences, economic and management sciences, natural and applied sciences as well as engineering and technology,
Master and Doctoral Sandwich Program Scholarships, AUN/SEED-Net
AUN/SEED-Net is pleased to announce that Call for Applications for Master’s Degree Program and Doctoral Degree Sandwich Program Year 2018 are now open. The faculty staffs, students and interested applicants who would like to pursue a higher study in the following engineering fields and are endorsed from our 26 member
Tokyo Institute of Technology Student Exchange Program, Japan
Tokyo Institute of Technology is offering a student exchange program for undergraduate (minimum requirement: in the second to third year) and graduate students (in the second year) who are interested to study in Tokyo Tech. General Requirements This program is particularly addressed to the Faculty of Biology, Faculty of Economics and Business,
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.