Scheme at a glance
- Career stage: Postgraduate training
- Where your host organisation is based: Low- or middle-income countries
- Type of researcher: Public health
- Level of funding: £120,000 including salary, studentship stipend, fees and research expenses
- Duration of funding: 30 months (12 months taught Master’s course and 18 months research project)
Who can apply
You can apply for an International Master’s Fellowship if:
- you’re a national of a low- or middle-income country
- your proposed research focuses on a health priority in a low- or middle-income country
- you have sponsorship from an eligible host organisation in a low- or middle-income country.
- hold a clinical or non-clinical undergraduate degree in a relevant subject
- be at an early stage in your career with limited research experience (but you must have demonstrated interest in, or aptitude for, research).
Your research proposal
Your research proposal should be within our science remit and focus on a health priority in a low- or middle-income country.
When we consider your application, we’ll look at the:
- quality and importance of your research question(s)
- feasibility of your approach to solving these problems
- suitability of your choice of research environments
- suitability of the taught Master of Science (MSc) course you select – it should take place at a recognised centre of excellence and provide you with training that will complement your research project.
Who can’t apply
You can’t apply if you’re:
- intending to be based in the UK, Republic of Ireland or another high-income country (although your taught course can be anywhere in the world)
- planning to do a Master of Research (MRes)
- a researcher in India – instead see the Wellcome Trust/Department of Biotechnology India Alliance
- currently applying for another Wellcome Trust fellowship.
We wouldn’t usually expect you to apply if you already have a Master’s.
What’s expected of your host organisation
You must be based at an eligible host organisation in a low- or middle-income country for the research project. When your host organisation submits your application, they must agree to provide the space and resources you’ll need from the start date through to the end date of your award.
Sponsor and supervisor
You should give careful thought to your choice of sponsor and supervisor. Your sponsor should:
- hold an established post for the duration of the fellowship
- have an ongoing research programme
- have a strong track record in research, training and mentorship
- provide you with guidance during the application process and fellowship.
Your sponsor should not expect you to spend more than eight hours a week on non-research activities (eg clinical duties, teaching or administration).
Your sponsor’s support and mentorship should be part of a longer-term commitment to help you achieve your career aspirations.
You should also identify a supervisor who will be responsible for the day-to-day supervision of your research project. We expect you to identify additional supervisors for each period that you spend outside your host organisation, including your taught course.
You can nominate your sponsor as a supervisor, if appropriate.
An International Master’s Fellowship is for 30 months, unless you want to hold it on a part-time basis.
The first 12 months should be dedicated to doing a taught Master of Science (MSc) course at a recognised centre of excellence anywhere in the world.
The following 18 months is for your research project at an eligible organisation in a low- or middle-income country.
An award of £120,000 provides support for:
Stages of application
- Submit your application
You must submit your application through Grant Tracker.Submit it to the ‘authorised organisational approver’ at your host organisation for approval. Make sure you leave enough time for the approver to review and submit your application before the deadline. The approver may ask you to make changes to your application.View the Sample full application form for International Master’s Fellowships [PDF 289KB]
- Host organisation reviews your application and submits it to us
Your application must be submitted by 17:00 (GMT/BST) on the deadline day.We may take up to four months to consider your full application. We will let you know if you are not eligible.
- Scientific review
The International Interview Committee will review your application and make the final decision. There are no interviews for these fellowships. If successful, you must take up the fellowship within one year of the award.
If you are disabled or have a chronic health condition, we can support you with the application process.
We consider applications twice a year. You must submit your application by 17:00 (GMT/BST) on the deadline day. We don’t accept late applications.
April 2019 round
- Application deadline: 16 April 2019, 17:00 BST
- Decision: July 2019
For more information, please visit: wellcome.ac.uk.
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Scholarships for International Students, Sweden
- Fully Funded Scholarships in Sociology and Politics, University of Bristol, UK
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Undergraduate Maths Scholarships for International Students, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Full Tuition Fee LLM Scholarships, Queen Mary University of London, UK
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Full Tuition Fee Fashion Scholarships, International Fashion Academy, France
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
International Engagement Awards, Wellcome Trust, UK
The International Engagement Awards have been relaunched after the success of the previous scheme. The scheme has been refocused to award projects that are linked to Wellcome Trust-funded research. International Engagement Awards are for projects that support Wellcome Trust-funded researchers in low- and middle-income countries to: engage with the public and policy
Master Fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Wellcome Trust, UK
This scheme provides junior researchers with the opportunity to gain research experience and training at Master's degree level. The scheme aims to support research that will improve public health and tropical medicine at a local, national and global level. Scheme at a glance Career stage: Postgraduate Where your host organisation is based:
Training Fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Wellcome Trust, UK
This scheme offers research experience and training to early-stage researchers from low- and middle-income countries. The scheme aims to support research that will improve public health and tropical medicine at a local, national and global level. Scheme at a glance Career stage: Postgraduate, Early Where your host organisation is based: Low- and
International Training Fellowships, Wellcome Trust, UK
This scheme offers nationals of low- and middle-income countries the opportunity to receive training at postgraduate or postdoctoral level. Scheme at a glance Career stage: Postgraduate training, Postdoctoral research Where your host organisation is based: Low- or middle-income countries Type of researcher: Public health Level of funding: Salary, fees and
PhD Studentship in Mathematical Genomics and Medicine, University of Cambridge, UK
Modern genomics promises not only to help uncover the molecular basis of disease, but also to have a major impact on health care through translation of advances in techniques, computation and knowledge into clinical trials and clinical practice. Quantitative analysis is at the heart of this goal, and there is
Wellcome Trust 4 Year PhD Programmes, University of Oxford, UK
The Medical Sciences Division is pleased to announce that 5 PhD Fellowships are available for the following 4-Year Wellcome Trust Doctoral Programme: Neuroscience The 4-year programme will comprise a combined first year and a 3-year individual research project. The first year will include taught modules and laboratory rotations designed to equip
PhD Studentships in Integrative Neuroscience, Cardiff University, UK
Our 4 year Programme provides a broader and more in-depth practical and theoretical grounding in neuroscience than conventional 3 year programmes. Early in Year 1 you will receive formal lectures in research design, statistics, lab safety, animal welfare and ethical standards, and attend a series of specialized lecture courses in behavioural,
Global Health Master Scholarships, Brighton and Sussex Medical School, UK
BSMS offers a number of scholarships for students admitted to full-time Master's degree in Global Health at the Wellcome Trust Centre for Global Health Research. The scholarships are funded by BSMS, and confirm the emergence of the Global Health department as a national and international leader in global health research, practice
PhD in Genomic Medicine and Statistics, University of Oxford, UK
Genomic Medicine and Statistics University of Oxford The Medical Sciences Division is pleased to announce the availability of PhD studentships in the following 4-Year Wellcome Trust Doctoral Programme: Genomic Medicine and Statistics The 4-year programme will comprise a combined first year and a 3-year self directed research project. The first year will include taught
The Panasonic Trust Fellowships 2010, UK
On 2 October 1997, Matsushita Electric Industrial Co Ltd marked the 25th anniversary of the founding of Panasonic UK Ltd by generously donating a further £500,000 to the Panasonic Trust to enable it to broaden its activities in the professional development of UK engineers. Income generated by these funds was
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.