Our LLM in International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights (LLM) is one of the most innovative and intellectually challenging programmes in international humanitarian law (IHL) and human rights offered in Europe today.
This one-year postgraduate degree course provides advanced, comprehensive and practical training in IHL, international human rights law, international refugee law, international criminal law, as well as the interplay between them.
Applications for the 2019–2020 academic year are open and will close on 1st February 2019 (applications with a scholarship) and on 1st March 2019 (applications without a scholarship).
The programme (60 ECTS) allows students to tailor their studies according to their particular interests. Core courses provide a firm grounding in public international law, IHL, IHRL, international refugee law and international criminal law. Optional courses allow students to deepen their expertise in a particular issue such as the conduct of hostilities, enforced disappearances in international law or the Islamic law of armed conflict.
Our LLM is also profoundly committed to developing the transferable skills necessary to succeed in the professional world and take up responsibilities in the humanitarian and human rights fields. To this end, internships with leading actors, military briefings and participation in moot courts and public pleadings provide a solid exposure to practical work and allow students to expand their network.
Our LLM is organized around a small and intimate learning community and LLM students have the opportunity to be taught by leading academics in the fields of international humanitarian law and human rights.
Scholarships are awarded to outstanding students who are unable to secure the funding required to cover tuition fees and/or the cost of living in Geneva through a highly competitive process based on academic merit, extra-curricular achievements and the candidate’s financial needs.
For our LLM, we only provide full scholarships for citizens of non-western countries. Applicants from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States and Western Europe cannot, therefore, be considered for a full scholarship.
We also provide, every year, a partial scholarship for EU citizens.
The Geneva Academy brings together a vibrant, intimate and multicultural community of around 100 talented students, leading professors and key experts in international humanitarian law, human rights, international criminal law and transitional justice.
The Campus Life section of our website provides all the relevant information regarding:
- Our Campus
- Student Life
- Living in Geneva (cost of living; visa and residence permit; accommodation and more!).
The admission section provides detailed information about:
A Four Steps Online Application Process
You can apply via a straightforward online form. The online application is divided into the following four steps:
- Decide whether to apply (1) without a scholarship, (2) with a full scholarship; (3) with a partial scholarship
- Complete the application form
- Attach the required documents
- Submit your application
Make sure you have all the requested information and documents before starting your application!
- Applications with a scholarship close on 1st February 2019
- Applications without a scholarship close on 1st March 2019 (late applications are considered until 15 March 2019)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If you still have questions, our FAQ addresses the main questions related to our LLM, the admission procedure and living in Geneva.
For more information, please visit: www.geneva-academy.ch.
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Scholarships for International Students, Sweden
- Fully Funded Scholarships in Sociology and Politics, University of Bristol, UK
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Undergraduate Maths Scholarships for International Students, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Full Tuition Fee LLM Scholarships, Queen Mary University of London, UK
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Full Tuition Fee Fashion Scholarships, International Fashion Academy, France
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
Anamax Charitable Foundation Scholarships, University of Nottingham, UK
Human Rights Law Centre is pleased to announce two scholarships for our International Human Rights Law Short Course running from 1 October 2018 until 7 December 2018. What is the Anamax Charitable Foundation Scholarship? A Chemistry graduate of the University of Nottingham and his wife, a lawyer, have established scholarships to assist
Master Scholarships in Human Rights and Democratisation, Asia Pacific
Applications are now being accepted for study and for scholarships in the Master of Human Rights and Democratisation (Asia Pacific) (MHRD). The MHRD is a unique Master degree program in which students undertake a foundational semester of study at the University of Sydney, and then a second semester at one of
Oak Fellowship in Poverty and Human Rights, USA
The Oak Institute for the Study of International Human Rights at Colby College in Waterville, Maine (USA) is pleased to announce its call for applications and nominations for the 2011 Oak Human Rights Fellowship. The fellowship is a one-semester appointment for a scholar-in-residence. It is designed to provide
Master & PhD Scholarships, Graduate Institute, Geneva, Switzerland
Each year the Graduate Institute awards several scholarships to Master and PhD students. Awards are based on academic merit and financial need. There are three categories of scholarship: Full scholarships: with a few exceptions, these are worth CHF 18,000. Recipients are exempt from Graduate Institute tuition fees; however they are still required
Talent Grant, Amsterdam University of the Arts, Netherlands
The Talent Grant was established in 2013 and is aimed at providing financial support to excellent students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland and Suriname who wish to study at the Amsterdam University of the Arts (AHK). Students from non-EEA countries normally have to pay the institutional tuition fees,
PhD Research Scholarship in Asia Pacific Studies, University of Wollongong, Australia
Two scholarships are available for PhD research to commence in Semester 1, 2010. The scholarships are associated with Professor Vera Mackie`s ARC Future Fellowship Project on Human Rights in the Asia-Pacific Region. Applicants should have a first-class honours degree with a specialisation in Asia-Pacific studies. Language skills from the region
Global South Scholar-In-Residence Fellowship, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Switzerland
This fellowship is open to outstanding young professors from universities from developing and emerging countries pursuing advanced research in areas bridging the fields of international and development studies, broadly defined, and working in disciplines such as anthropology, history, law, politics and political science, and economics. Scholars will spend one semester at
Human Rights Watch Fellowships, USA
For recent graduates of law schools or graduate programs in journalism, international relations, area studies, or other relevant disciplines from universities worldwide. Unrestricted Fellowships Alan R. and Barbara D. Finberg Fellowship - Established in memory of Alan R. and Barbara D. Finberg, early supporters of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”), this fellowship is
Paul Webley Alphawood Scholarships, SOAS, University of London, UK
The Alphawood Foundation has generously provided Paul Webley Alphawood Scholarships for post-graduate students undertaking either the full-time taught masters programmes MA Human Rights Law or LLM in Human Rights, Conflict and Justice. In 2019-20 there will be 1 Paul Webley Alphawood Scholarship. The Paul Webley Alphawood Scholarship will cover tuition fees. MA in
Beasiswa SMA, Sampoerna Academy, Putera Sampoerna Foundation, Indonesia
Beasiswa Program Sampoerna Academy Pendidikan Bertaraf Internasional Berasrama Pendaftaran Siswa Baru 2012/2013 Bantuan Pendidikan yang diberikan mencakup : Biaya pendidikan Biaya tempat tinggal dan makan di asrama Buku pelajaran Tunjangan kesehatan Seragam Biaya operasional sekolah Persyaratan Dasar (berlaku untuk semua Sampoerna Academy) : Warga Negara Indonesia, saat ini kelas 3 SMP (atau setara) Memiliki nilai akademik rata-rata minimum 7,5 untuk SA Bali
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.