The NRF (Clean Energy) PhD Scholarships offer support for up to four years of academic pursuit, leading to a PhD in related disciplines such as Electrical Engineering, Materials Science or Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Environmental Science or Engineering, Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. All research topics should be in the following areas related to Clean Energy, with focus on solar:
- Fuel cells
- Energy efficiency in green buildings
- Smart grid technology
- Carbon capture & utilization
- Other renewable energies
Scholars must obtain CEPO’s agreement before embarking on a particular research area and project, so as to be in line with CEPO’s technology roadmap. For local PhD scholarships, CEPO will work with the universities to ensure that the candidate has a specific research project and supervisor identified before the award.
The scholarships are tenable at NUS, NTU or overseas universities renowned in clean energy such as:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA
- University of California at Berkeley, USA
- Stanford University, USA
- Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), USA
- Loughborough University, UK
- Sandia National Labs, USA
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland
- TU Munich, Germany
- Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems, Germany
- University of New South Wales (UNSW), Australia
Please note that this list is non-exhaustive, but all foreign universities must be recognized by CEPO.
- Local PhD: All nationalities. Foreigners who take up the scholarship are expected to become Singapore PRs within 2 years of completion of studies.
- Overseas PhD: Singapore Citizens.
- A relevant Bachelor’s Degree with Honours (at least 2nd Class Upper) or its equivalent.
- Good GRE test score preferred.
- Good TOEFL score for applicants whose mother tongue is not English.
- Full tuition fees
- Monthly subsistence allowance**
- Other allowances including:
- Annual Book allowance
- Computer allowance
- Conference allowance
- Thesis allowance
- Travel allowance*
- Warm clothing allowance*
- Settling-in allowance *
* For overseas PhD
** Monthly allowance of S$3,300/month for local PhD study
^ All rates/allowances are subject to adjustments by CEPO from time to time
Upon completion of their studies, candidates will be bonded to work in Singapore (in the clean energy area) for a period of 3 years for local PhDs or 4 years for overseas PhDs. Scholars will be allowed the flexibility to choose the organization that they work for when they near the end of their study.
Application for Admission to Universities
Scholars are expected to gain entrance to the various overseas and local universities on their own merits, before they apply for the scholarship.
Applications are to be submitted using the attached application form. For further information, please contact us at Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel: 6516 6937
Closing Date for Application
Applications are open throughout the year. For admission for the Academic Year starting in August 2011, the closing date for applications is 28 February 2011.
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Full Tuition Fee Fashion Scholarships, International Fashion Academy, France
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
Master in Forestry Management, Marine Resources Management, Clean Energy, Water and Sanitation, or Climate Change
Master Degree Program in Forestry Management, Marine Resources Management, Clean Energy, Water and Sanitation, or Climate Change, Academy for Educational Development, AED Indonesia, USA The objective of this program is to support Indonesian future leaders in Forestry Management, Marine Resources Management, Clean Energy, Water and Sanitation, and Climate Change by providing
PhD Scholarships – Singapore University of Technology and Design
The SUTD PhD Programme offers you a chance to collaborate with the best in their fields. We offer the following in-house scholarships on a competitive basis to outstanding full-time PhD Programme applicants: SUTD President’s Graduate Fellowship (PhD) Open to all nationalities Full tuition fees Monthly stipend of: S$3,500 (Singapore Citizens) S$3,200 (Singapore
PhD Positions in Value-addition of Glycerol into Bio-hydrogen, Canada
PhD Position: Value-addition of glycerol into bio-hydrogen using mono and co-cultures Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique The pending global energy crisis is stimulating the quick growth of biodiesel manufacturing. However, biodiesel production cost is increasing due to the accumulation of glycerol as a byproduct. With a ton of biodiesel produced, the
Dr Goh Keng Swee (GKS) Scholarship for Undergraduate Students, Singapore
The Dr Goh Keng Swee (GKS) Scholarship is a private sector scholarship administered by the Association of Banks in Singapore (ABS). Each year, 3 to 4 scholarships are awarded to outstanding individuals from 15 Asia Pacific economies (Brunei, Cambodia, Hong Kong SAR, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, PRC, Taiwan, Vietnam,
SMA3 Graduate Fellowship by Singapore Ministry of Education
The Singapore Ministry of Education has established a four-year fellowship scheme for new doctoral students at NTU or NUS who will conduct their research at the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology Centre (SMART Centre). The establishment of this Fellowship Programme is intended to attract to NTU and NUS the best
Master Degree Scholarship by USAID, USA
Master`s Degree - in Public Health Master`s (two-year program) in the U.S from a Faculty of Medicine/Public Health with a concentration in: principles of public health and field epidemiology including methods of prevention and eradication of infectious diseases, health system capacity development including human resource and program management, public health information and surveillance
The Panasonic Trust Fellowships 2010, UK
On 2 October 1997, Matsushita Electric Industrial Co Ltd marked the 25th anniversary of the founding of Panasonic UK Ltd by generously donating a further £500,000 to the Panasonic Trust to enable it to broaden its activities in the professional development of UK engineers. Income generated by these funds was
PhD in Sustainable Urban Energy Futures, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
The Department of Energy and Environment excels in research and education related to energy, environment and sustainable development ranging from a global perspective to industrial, building and product issues. The focus is on experimental and theoretical research on energy technology as well as on development, use and evaluation of methods
PhD Scholarships in Membrane Science, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore
There are several PhD scholarships available for Jan 2010 intake at the Singapore Membrane Technology Center (SMTC), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. If you are interested in membrane technology for water and environments, and would like to apply for PhD study at SMTC, please contact A/Prof. Wang Rong (rwang[ at ]ntu.edu.sg)
PhD Scholarships, Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund, India
The scholarships are available to the following categories of persons: A) Indian Nationals for PhD study in India; and B) Nationals of other Asian countries for PhD study in India. AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION/ SUBJECT A candidate may apply for scholarship in any one of the following areas of specialization: 1. Science and Technology as an
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.