In November 2005, SEARCA established the PhD Research Scholarship, which provides financial support to qualified PhD students whose researches are relevant to the priority thrusts of SEARCA (See Scholarship Statistics).
The PhD research scholarship aims to:
- Provide PhD students the opportunity to use the resources and facilities available at SEARCA and its network of universities for their research;
- Produce quality research papers for publication; and
Enable them to work with SEARCA’s R&D personnel on mutually identified areas of concerns/interests in agriculture and rural development.
Priority 1. Southeast Asian nationals who are enrolled in PhD programs in any of the member universities under the Southeast Asian University Consortium for Graduate Education in Agriculture and Natural Resources (UC)*.
Priority 2. Southeast Asian nationals who are regular staff members of government agencies or non-profit development-oriented institutions, and are PhD students of agricultural universities outside of UC.
The topic of the applicant’s PhD research must be aligned with SEARCA’s thrusts of Inclusive and Sustainable Agricultural and Rural Development (ISARD) towards food security and poverty alleviation in Southeast Asia. Specifically, its focus must be in any of the following areas:
Social Inclusion in Agriculture and Rural Development
- Participation of poor and vulnerable sectors of rural societies in food and agricultural value chains and agribusiness commodity systems;
- Food and nutrition security for poor and vulnerable sectors of rural societies; and
- Productivity-enhancing innovations and modern technologies.
Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development
- Natural resource management;
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation in agriculture and natural resource management; and
- Resilience of agricultural systems to climate impacts.
Regional and Sub-regional Cooperation
- Sub-regional cooperation in trade and investments; and
- Regional market, trade, and economic integration.
Institutions and Governance
- Government policies, institutions, and governance mechanisms and reforms for ISARD.
Research funds not to exceed USD 4,500 and optional internship at SEARCA for up to two (2) months. For those who will avail of the internship, additional scholarship fund may be allocated to cover travel expenses to and from SEARCA, travel and accident insurance, and stipend during the period of internship.
Applicants must submit the following requirements to SEARCA:
- Filled out SEARCA PhD Research Scholarship application form;
- Letter of application for the research scholarship which should be addressed to the SEARCA Director;
- Recommendation letter from the Dean of Graduate School of the university where the applicant is pursuing the degree program;
- Dissertation research outline/proposal approved by the Advisory Committee and Dean of Graduate School;
- Budgetary requirement for the entire research duly attested and recommended by the major adviser and Dean of Graduate School;
- True copy of grades for courses taken, certified by the Graduate School;
- Letter from the applicant certifying that he/she is not receiving any other research grant from any other institution. If partial funding has been obtained from other sources, applicant must submit a certification from the funding agency indicating the grant amount and items covered by the grant;
- Research timetable indicating the activities involved in the research, and the expected date of defense.
Due to the limited amount of grant per scholarship, preference shall be given to researches that are not laboratory-based.
Applications must be submitted directly to SEARCA. Deadline for filing of application is 30 April (first batch) and 30 September (2nd batch) of every year with grants to be awarded in 15 July and 15 December of same year, respectively.
* University Consortium members are Institut Pertanian Bogor (IPB), Bogor, Indonesia; Kasetsart University (KU), Bangkok, Thailand; Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM), Yogyakarta, Indonesia; Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Selangor, Malaysia; and University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB), Laguna, Philippines.
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Full Tuition Fee Fashion Scholarships, International Fashion Academy, France
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
Master & PhD Scholarships in Agriculture by SEARCA
The Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA) invites applications for its graduate scholarship (MS and PhD) in agriculture and related fields for Academic Year 2018-2019. Eligibility: The SEARCA Graduate Scholarship is open to nationals of Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore,
CIMB Regional Scholarship for Postgraduate Students from Southeast Asia, Malaysia
In line with our vision to become Southeast Asia`s most valued universal banking group, CIMB Group is committed towards building the region`s intellectual properties and capabilities. With this in mind, CIMB Group has established the CIMB Regional Scholarship, which aims to provide outstanding individuals from all Southeast Asian countries a
Asian Graduate Student Fellowships, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore
The Asia Research Institute of NUS invites applications from citizens of Asian countries enrolled for a fulltime advanced degree at a university in an Asian country (except Singapore) for consideration for the award of Asian Graduate Student Fellowships. These fellowships are offered to current graduate students doing their Master’s or
Nalanda-Sriwijaya Centre Fellowship, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS), Singapore
Nalanda-Sriwijaya Centre Fellowship Program 2010, ISEAS, Singapore The Nalanda-Sriwijaya Centre of the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS) in Singapore, which pursues research on historical interactions among Asian societies and civilizations, is accepting applications from scholars who wish to undertake research and writing in the area of intra-Asian historical interactions during
Asia Center Graduate Summer Research Grants, Harvard University, USA
Asia Center Graduate Summer Language Grants for East, South and Southeast Asian Language Study, Harvard University. These grants are offered jointly by the Harvard University Asia Center, the Fairbank Center for Chinese Studies, the Korea Institute, and the Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies. These grants are for students
Islam and Law in Southeast Asia Fieldwork Scholarships, University of Melbourne, Australia
Some limited funding is available to assist research into Islam-related issues relevant to Southeast Asia. ‘Islam and Law in Southeast Asia’ Fieldwork Scholarships of up to A$2,000 are available for Masters or PhD candidates enrolled at the University of Melbourne. The scholarships must be used to support fieldwork in Southeast
Fellowship Grant, Asian Civilisations Museum, Singapore
The Asian Civilisations Museum (ACM) in Singapore invites scholars specialising in Buddhist art or Indian Trade Textiles to apply for a 12-month research fellowship. The applications will be screened by a committee of eminent scholars and will be administered by the Research and Publication Unit (RPU) of ACM. The research fellowships
PhD Position in Southeast Asian Pop Music, Leiden University, Netherlands
Within the NWO funded project 'Articulating Modernity: the Making of Popular Music in 20th Century Southeast Asia and the Rise of New Audiences'. This is a joint project with the Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies (KITLV) and the Netherlands Institute for War Documentation (NIOD). The project analyzes
Journalism Fellowship, Southeast Asian Press Alliance (SEAPA), Thailand
The Southeast Asian Press Alliance (SEAPA) today invites mid career journalists from Southeast Asia to apply for its 11thannual Journalism Fellowship Programme. The fellowship theme for the year, titled “Documenting threats to the rivers of Southeast Asia: Looking through the journalist’s lens”, is to focus on the management of rivers and
Graduate Degree Fellowships, East-West Center, University of Hawaii, USA
The East-West Center Graduate Degree Fellowship provides funding for up to 24 months for Master's or Doctoral degree study for graduate students from Asia, the Pacific, and the U.S. to participate in the educational, residential, and leadership development programs at the East-West Center while pursuing graduate study at the University
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.