Henley Business School holds triple-accredited status, placing us among the top 1% of global business schools, and we enjoy a reputation for high quality academic and applied research. The University of Reading is ranked among the top 1% of universities in the world and consistently rated among the UK’s most research intensive institutions.
Becoming a PhD student in the area of Leadership, Organisations and Behaviour at Henley provides a unique opportunity to undertake original research that is timely as well as business relevant and to develop your critical thinking, intellectual capacity and creativity. Our postgraduate research students are drawn from all over the world and benefit from a dynamic research environment, supervision from internationally-renowned faculty, dedicated support and outstanding facilities. Our faculty continuously publishes in internationally well-known and highly rated journals such as the Journal of Organizational Behaviour, Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, British Journal of Sociology, Cambridge Journal of Economics, Organisation Studies, The Leadership Quarterly, Academy of Management Learning & Education, Organization Science, British Journal of Management, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, International Journal of Management Reviews, Group and Organisation Management, including books with the following imprints: Routledge, Sage, JAI Press, Edward Elgar and Harvard Business Review Press.
In the 2016 annual evaluation of supervisory arrangements carried out by the University of Reading’s Graduate School 100% of our PhDs rated their supervisory experience as either satisfied or very satisfied, with the majority (83%) being very satisfied.
Applying for a PhD
The process for applying does not follow a linear path that is identical for every student, but the basic steps are as follows:
- Write a research proposal outlining the topic you wish to research. Please ensure that you read the information on our ‘How to Write a Research Proposal’ page before starting, as it will give you some useful advice.
- Choose an academic member of staff that has a similar area of research to your research proposal’s focus. You can then send your research proposal to them for comment.
- If the academic in question is interested, they will get back in touch with you. It is likely that they will have some questions or suggestions for improving your research proposal. Please note that if you do not receive a response you must not send your research proposal to all the other academics listed on this page.
- If the academic is satisfied with the proposal you will be invited to apply. Please note that you can apply before this, but until you have the support of an academic supervisor you will not be able to complete the process.
Up to 4 postgraduate studentships, each worth up to £15,000 plus University fees, are available for outstanding applicants wanting to conduct full-time postgraduate research in the areas listed. These awards are offered on an annual basis and are renewable at the end of each year subject to satisfactory performance, for up to 3 years. In particular we are looking for PhD candidates with excellent potential in the areas of Entrepreneurship, Social and Organisation Studies, Leadership, Moral Agency and Business Ethics and Non-market related strategies. Students with an interest in these thematic areas within our research centres are invited to apply.
Please note: We are currently only accepting full-time applicants for our PhD Programmes. If you are interested in pursuing a part-time PhD, please follow the link to our DBA programme here.
The deadline for applications is the end of August 2018 and the deadline for studentship applications is 30th June 2018.
Important Information for Applicants for Studentships
Applicants for studentships are expected to have obtained or be expecting to obtain a distinction in their Masters degree and in their Masters thesis. MBAs are not considered. Applications for studentships are very competitive and students are further assessed on their ability to speak and communicate in English as part of the duties of studentship holders are to engage in teaching assistant duties (up to 6 hours per week) from their second year in the programme. For further information on studentship requirements please contact the school administrator Alex Baker.
For more information, please visit: www.henley.ac.uk.
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Living Allowance + Tuition Fees Doctoral Scholarships, University of Waikato, New Zealand
- Fully Funded Art Major Asian Scholarships, Korea National University of Arts, South Korea
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Full Tuition Fee LLM Scholarships, Queen Mary University of London, UK
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Fully Funded Doctoral Scholarships in Engineering, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- Fully Funded Undergraduate Scholarship for Student from Developing Country, University of Westminster, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for International Students, University of the West of England, UK
- Fully Funded GCE A Level Scholarships for Indonesian Students, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
Postgraduate Scholarships, Henley Business School, University of Reading, UK
Business, Accounting, Entrepreneurship, Management and Marketing Scholarships 2013-14 Henley Business School will provide £90,000 of International and EU postgraduate scholarships in 2013 for applicants who have received and accepted an offer of a place on a masters programme in accounting, international business, human resource management, entrepreneurship, marketing and international management. Award details The
Henley Diamond Jubilee MBA Scholarships, Henley Business School, University of Reading, UK
This year, up to five highly prestigious full scholarships, worth £25,000 each, will be awarded to commemorate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee; celebrate the true spirit of British business and mark Henley Business School's contribution to developing leaders across the globe. The scholarships are jointly funded by the business school and organizations
Women in Leadership Scholarship, Henley Business School, University of Reading, UK
We are delighted to announce that we are again running this prestigious MBA Scholarship competition. The winner will receive a fully-funded place worth up to £39,500 on Henley Business School’s world-renowned Executive or Flexible Executive MBA programme starting in September/October 2017. This scholarship is designed to offer practical support for the
The PeopleVox Scholarship for Postgraduate, Henley Business School, University of Reading, UK
This postgraduate scholarship provides £1,000 towards the cost of postgraduate tuition fees. It is available (dependent on eligibility) for 1 year. This scholarship is sponsored by PeopleVox. Headquartered in the UK, PeopleVox is a leading implementer of asset and stock control solutions based on barcoding. Its clients include Motorola, Christies and
University of Reading International Research Studentships, UK
The University is pleased to announce seven PhD studentships available for October 2018 start. These are available for highly qualified applicants for research within science, life sciences, social science and arts and humanities. What is available? One full 'prize' studentship offering: a subsistence grant (stipend) to match the 2017/8 UK Research Council
International Baccalaureate Scholarship, University of Reading, UK
To apply for this Scholarship you must hold the offer of a place at the University of Reading. You will receive the scholarship only if you hold Reading as your Firm choice. you must send a nomination letter from the school/college (at which you are studying for the International Baccalaureate)
PhD Studentship, Imperial College London, UK
Studentships: up to £18,000 pa plus payment of fees Deadline: Friday 19th February Start date: October 2010 Imperial College Business School has a global reputation for academic excellence and provides the opportunity to learn from world-class faculty and cutting edge research. The recent RAE 2008 assessment places the Business School joint first for
Anniversary PhD Scholarships, University of Reading, UK
The University-wide Graduate School was established in the Autumn of 2011. In celebration of our 5th Anniversary, we are delighted to announce ten PhD studentships available for October 2017 start. These are available for highly qualified applicants for research within science, life sciences and arts, humanities and social science. What is
London School of Economics and Political Science PhD Studentships, UK
In 2018 LSE will be offering around 100 major studentships to new PhD students in the form of LSE PhD Studentships and LSE ESRC DTP Studentships. Eligibility LSE PhD Studentships are tenable for four years and cover full fees and an annual stipend of £18,000. They are available for UK, EU and
MPhil / PhD Postgraduate Research Studentships, Birkbeck, University of London, UK
The School of Business, Economics & Informatics would like to invite applications for full-time PhD studentships, starting in the academic year 2017/18. The School has 9 studentships to award: 5 fully-funded studentships and 4 fees only studentships. Who is eligible? We welcome applications from strong candidates with research interests in any field within
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.