The University of Sussex Experimental Particle Physics group plays a critically important role in a number of experiments at the frontiers of our knowledge of particle physics, with main involvement in: the ATLAS experiment and its upgrades at the CERN Large Hadron Collider, the SNO+ neutrinoless double beta decay experiment at SNOLAB (Canada), the NOvA and DUNE neutrino oscillation experiments at Fermilab (USA), and the Neutron EDM experiment at PSI (Switzerland).
We are presently offering several fully funded studentships on these experiments available to UK and EU nationals for a September 2017 start. Funded studentships cover a tax free bursary (£14,553 per annum in 2017/18) and home/EU fees for 3.5 years. Additional financial support is provided to cover short-term and long-term travel. Interviews of shortlisted candidates will be held in February and March. There are also funding opportunities for non-EU students to work on projects in our group through a China Scholarship Council/Sussex joint scholarship (open to Chinese nationals) and the Sussex Chancellor’s International Research Scholarship (open to any nationality).
Type of award
£14553 (2017-18) per annum tax-free bursary and waiver of fees each year for 3.5 years. Full-time study
You should have a physics or related degree, or be due to graduate before September 2018.
Further details on our entry requirements can be found at http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/phd/degrees/mathematical-and-physical-sciences/physics-phd
Apply through the Sussex on-line system
State in the Funding Information section of the application form that you would like to apply for this studentship, giving the title of the project as above.
Applications should include a CV, as well as transcripts of marks obtained on your degree(s) and the names and contact details of two academic referees. Please also include an overview of why you are suitable for this position and your reasons for applying.
Early application is advised. The studentship will be allocated as soon as a suitable candidate is found. Interviews of shortlisted candidates will be held from April 2018 until the positions have been filled.
Start date at Sussex: 24th September 2018
First payment of the award bursary: 1st October 2018
This is a full-time studentship. With agreement of the supervisor the student may take on a limited amount of teaching, for which additional payment will be made.
The award includes an additional training grant of £1250 p.a. for short courses, books, travel, conferences etc.
The Experimental Particle Physics Group research webpages can be found here:
Informal enquiries should be send to Dr Clark Griffith
Enquiries about your eligibility, the progress of your application and admission to Sussex, should be sent to Rebecca Foster
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Full Tuition Fee Fashion Scholarships, International Fashion Academy, France
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships and Fellowships, Australia
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
PhD Fellowships in Elementary Particle Physics, International Max Planck Research School, Germany
The International Max Planck Research School `Elementary Particle Physics – Theoretical, Experimental and Cosmological Frontiers` (IMPRS EPP) is a joint initiative of the Max Planck Institute of Physics (Werner Heisenberg Institute) and the particle and astroparticle physics groups of the Ludwig Maximilian University Munich and the Technical University Munich. Since
Scottish Universities Physics Alliance (SUPA) Prize Studentships, Scotland UK
The SUPA Prize Studentships are prestigious and competitive awards intended to attract outstanding physics students from around the world, irrespective of nationality, to study for a PhD in Scotland. Prize studentships will be awarded competitively and up to fifteen awards will be available this year for outstanding candidates. The studentships provide
PhD Studentship in Space Instrumentation (MicroADS Mission), University of Sussex, UK
Applications are invited for a prestigious fully-funded 3 year PhD studentship in Space Instrumentation at the University of Sussex. The successful applicant will join the MicroADS mission team in the Space Research Group. MicroADS is a novel satellite attitude determination system which offers star-tracker levels of performance in a much
PhD Studentship in Physics, Lund University, Sweden
The Division of Synchrotron Radiation Research at the Department of Physics, Lund University, has a broad spectrum of research interests and experimental programs. The molecular physics group is interested in studies of photoinduced processes in molecules and molecular clusters using spectroscopic methods based on photodissociation. The project for the PhD
PhD Studentships, Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of Sussex, UK
PhD Studentship: Inertial sensors and lattices for Quantum Technology A 3.5 year PhD position is available in in the Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics Group with Prof. Barry Garraway in the Department of Physics & Astronomy at the University of Sussex. The position consists of current fees and a yearly stipend of
Master Scholarships in Particle Physics at Université Blaise Pascal, Clermont-Ferrand, France
The 2nd year of the Master of Physics at Clermont-Ferrand1 welcomes students from France and abroad, provided they have passed the Master 1 exams, or possess the background expected after 4 years of Physics. To promote mobility and excellence, a number of 5,000 euros fellowships have been opened this year
Sussex MBA Scholarship, University of Sussex, UK
We offer scholarships ranging from £1,500 to £5,000 to applicants who can demonstrate significant management experience and/or have graduated with a good degree, or other relevant qualification. Type of award Partial Fee Waiver Amount Up to £5,000 Eligibility To be eligible for this scholarship, you must: hold an offer of a place on the Sussex MBA have senior
PhD Studentships in Behaviour, Choices and Markets, University of Aberdeen, UK
PhD Studentships: Behaviour, Choices and Markets University of Aberdeen The principle aim of Behaviour, Choices and Markets is to create a platform for a comprehensive investigation of behaviour and choice within markets and society. This is set within an all-embracing framework interpreted through the perspectives of economic and social science principles. Incentives
PhD Scholarship in Mathematics, Physics & Astronomy, University of Sussex, UK
The School of Mathematical & Physical Sciences (MPS) will offer one School Postgraduate Scholarship for a student wishing to study for the PhD in Mathematics, the PhD in Physics, or the PhD in Astronomy, starting September 2013. The award is for any branch of Mathematics, Physics or Astronomy within the School.
Pegge Scholarship for MSc Evolutionary and Adaptive Systems, University of Sussex, UK
Pegge Scholarship for MSc Evolutionary and Adaptive Systems (2013) Due to a generous donation from Sussex alumnus Andrew Pegge, the Pegge Scholarship is awarded annually to postgraduate students taking the MSc Evolutionary and Adaptive Systems. The scholarship is open to all and awarded on merit; the awarding committee has discretion, according
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.