If you are a high performing undergraduate or Master’s student and have a strong desire to undertake a PhD programme at a world class research institution, you could be selected to receive full tuition fees and a generous stipend for a PhD place at Imperial College London. The President’s PhD Scholarships aims to provide up to 50 research students with great potential the opportunity to work within their chosen research field with the support of an excellent supervisor.
Opportunities for PhD funding via this scheme are extremely competitive, with higher than usual eligibility requirements. Applicants should be confident that they are able to demonstrate outstanding academic performance before applying for this scholarship scheme. Previous successful recipients of the scholarship have ranked highly in their class, often achieving grades of 85% or higher in their degree(s).
The earliest start date for funded places is 1 August 2019, the latest start date is 1 November 2019.
Successful candidates will receive the following financial support for up to 3.5 years:
- Full funding for tuition fees
- A stipend of £21,200 per annum to assist with living costs
- A consumables fund of £2,000 per annum for the first 3 years of study
- A programme of bespoke opportunities and events delivered by the Graduate School
- Applications are accepted from talented candidates from Imperial College London, the UK and worldwide. There are no restrictions on nationality.
- Candidates must be among the highest achievers in their undergraduate cohort, and in receipt of, or due to receive a first class UK degree or equivalent.
- Candidates with a standalone Master’s qualification must have achieved a distinction or, where this has yet to have been achieved, be able to provide evidence of high performance that will lead to a distinction. They must also hold a first class UK undergraduate degree or equivalent (integrated Masters that form part of an undergraduate degree, e.g. MEng, MSci, M.Math, are assessed by Admissions as an undergraduate qualification when determining eligibility). Candidates with multiple standalone Master’s qualifications must have achieved a distinction in the one most relevant to their PhD study.
- Candidates with degrees from overseas institutions are strongly urged to determine if their scores/grades are equivalent to the relevant eligibility criteria.
- Prior to applying candidates must have made contact with a supervisor in an academic department at Imperial College London who has agreed to supervise their research project. Please note that supervisors are limited to supervise one scholar at any time. Please review the President’s PhD Scholarships – Unavailable Supervisors page for more information. Please note: current registered Imperial PhD students are not eligible to be considered for a President’s PhD Scholarship. The scheme is only open to new PhD applications.
How to apply
There is not a specific scholarship application form. You should submit your application for admission to study at Imperial through our online admissions system and your department will put you forward for the scholarship based on academic merit and potential.
- When prompted for a personal statement you must ensure that it consists of approx. 1000 words (maximum 2 pages) and outlines your academic and research achievements to date, explaining in brief your planned research project. The selection panel will not consider statements exceeding the 2 page limit. You may submit updated versions of this statement if required following application submission.
- To be considered for the President’s PhD Scholarship scheme, applicants must select this option in the funding section of the additional questions tab within the online application form.
- You must also meet any additional application requirements stated by your department of choice.
Eligible candidates will be advanced to the next review and selection process; please see the deadlines below.
Review and selection
Applications will be reviewed by a two-stage process:
- Candidates meeting or predicted to meet the eligibility requirements will be reviewed by the Department to which they have applied. Departments will select a shortlist of the very best candidates to present to the Imperial College Selection Panel for consideration.
- The final decision will be made by the Imperial College Selection Panel. The members of the panel are the Vice-Provost (Research) and the Faculty Vice-Deans for Research. The Panel will consider shortlisted candidates from all Faculties. Scholarships will be awarded to the candidates who show the most potential.
Successful candidates will receive written confirmation of their scholarship. Any offer of a PhD place will be conditional on final interview by the Department and (if applicable) on the candidate receiving the predicted qualifications.
Applicants not selected for the scholarship will automatically be considered for the PhD.
When should I expect a decision on my scholarship application?
Applications put forward for this scholarship scheme will be considered throughout the academic year.
- Applicants who apply before 9 November 2018 and are awarded a scholarship will be notified by 31 January 2019
- Applicants who apply before 18 January 2019 and are awarded a scholarship will be notified by 30 March 2019
- Applicants who apply before 22 March 2019 and are awarded a scholarship will be notified by 31 May 2019
Find out more
If you have any questions regarding the scheme please contact email@example.com.
For more information, please visit: www.imperial.ac.uk.
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Full Tuition Fee Fashion Scholarships, International Fashion Academy, France
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
Imperial Executive MBA Scholarships, Imperial College London, UK
Imperial College Business School is pleased to offer scholarships to outstanding candidates for the Imperial Executive MBA. Scholarships will be awarded based on the following criteria: The information supplied in your original application to the programme, including a strong academic background and an excellent track record of professional achievement Your performance during
PhD Studentship, Imperial College London, UK
Studentships: up to £18,000 pa plus payment of fees Deadline: Friday 19th February Start date: October 2010 Imperial College Business School has a global reputation for academic excellence and provides the opportunity to learn from world-class faculty and cutting edge research. The recent RAE 2008 assessment places the Business School joint first for
PhD Studentships in the History of Science, Technology and Medicine, Imperial College, London, UK
The Centre for the History of Science, Technology and Medicine at Imperial College London invites applications for the Hans Rausing PhD studentship, starting in the 2009/10 academic year. The history of science and technology has been taught and researched at Imperial College London since 1963, and CHoSTM in its current form
President’s Undergraduate Scholarships, Imperial College London, UK
The President's Undergraduate Scholarships are the most prestigious awards the College has to offer. They are designed to reward students of any nationality who demonstrate the highest academic excellence and potential. There are up to 112 President's Undergraduate Scholarships available for students starting their studies in 2017-18. Each President's scholar will
Public Healthcare Scholarship, Imperial College London, UK
Imperial College London is world-renowned for teaching and research in medicine and healthcare, and at the Business School we recognise the unique value that healthcare professionals bring to the MBA classroom. We are delighted to announce a new scholarship to recognise exceptional candidates joining us from careers in the UK’s National
PhD Studentship, Department of Earth Science and Engineering, Imperial College London, UK
PhD Studentship Experimental Investigation of Fluid Flow and Mass Transport in Heap Leaching Imperial College London - Department of Earth Science and Engineering A Rio Tinto studentship is being offered to an excellent student in Chemical Engineering, Minerals Processing or related disciplines. The studentship will cover all student fees, and also offers a
Faculty of Medicine Dean’s Master’s scholarships, Imperial College London, UK
The Faculty of Medicine is offering scholarships for students starting full-time or part-time Master’s programmes in October 2018. The Dean’s Master’s Scholarship Up to nine scholarships of £10,000 available for applicants to study an MSc or MRes course run by the Faculty of Medicine beginning in October 2018. Applications are now open for
Imperial College Research Fellowships, Imperial College London, UK
Imperial's prestigious Imperial College Research Fellowships sustain the brightest and best early career researchers from across the world, providing a level of commitment and support that is rare from a UK university. As an Imperial College Research Fellow (ICRF) you will receive a four year fellowship which includes: a competitive salary
PhD Studentship in Fluid Mechanics, Imperial College London, UK
Imperial College London Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering PhD Studentship in Fluid Mechanics (Wave-structure interactions) A PhD studentship concerning the description of extreme water waves and the fluid loads arising high in the wave crest is available in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Imperial College London. The
Imperial Business Scholarships, Imperial College London, UK
The Imperial Business Scholarships recognise strong applicants who demonstrate the ability and passion to meet the challenges present in today’s dynamic global business environment to make a positive difference as socially responsible leaders for tomorrow. If you want to be considered for an Imperial Business Scholarship, you should make sure you
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.