Postgraduate scholarships to undertake research on physical activity and Type 2 Diabetes
Diabetes is a National Health Priority area and the sixth leading cause of death in Australia. Currently 280 Australians develop diabetes every day – that is one person every five minutes. Type 2 Diabetes (T2D) prevalence is especially high among middle-aged and older (45-65y) workers – up to 7.7% – with a substantial impact on work productivity, risk of absenteeism and inability to work.
Diabetes treatment currently costs the healthcare system more than $14 billion each year, and the increased frequency of complications associated with poor glycaemic control in those with T2D contributes substantially to ill health, disability and early death.
Against this background, new research capacities and controlled-trial evidence are now needed to take forward a paradigm shift in how T2D prevention and management is understood and implemented. Moderate-vigorous intensity physical activity (MVPA) has long been – and remains – a mainstay of diabetes prevention and management. However, 20 years of initiatives to promote its uptake have not led to changes in population prevalence, and exercise adherence is a major challenge for those at risk of developing T2D and for T2D patients. Sedentary behaviour (put simply, too much sitting as distinct from too little exercise) is a newly-identified element of chronic disease risk, with implications for T2D.
There are untested benefits for T2D management through reducing and breaking up sitting time.
Two scholarships will be available. We welcome applications from individuals with a background in:
- Public Health
- Physical education/Exercise science
- Diabetes Research
- Workplace/Population Health
- Sedentary Behaviour/Sitting Time
- Another discipline related to the project
Your supervisory team will include Professor David Dunstan who holds appointments at both the Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute and Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research, ACU
The Baker Institute includes more than 300 scientists, health professionals and students who are committed to tackling the deadly trio of diabetes, cardiovascular disease and obesity. The Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research is focused on undertaking research that discovers and promotes effective strategies to create a healthier Australia, and brings national and international health experts together with leading organisations across a broad portfolio of health-related research areas.
An early 2019 commencement date is preferred.
Value of Scholarship
- a tax-free stipend of AUD $32,596 per annum for three years;
- funding for project costs;
- A Research Training Program Fees Offset Scholarship (that is, a tuition fee waiver) for domestic students; and
- a tuition fee waiver and Overseas Student Health Care Policy for international students.
How to apply:
- If you are a domestic applicant, complete the Domestic Application for Higher Degree Research Candidature / Postgraduate Research Scholarship (Word, 170KB).
- If you are an international applicant, complete the international online application form available at http://www.acu.edu.au/international/study_research.
- If you are currently enrolled in a research degree at ACU, please complete the Application for a Postgraduate Research Scholarship for Research Candidates Currently Enrolled at ACU (Word, 170KB).
Applicants should also include a cover letter of not more than two pages providing evidence of:
- academic excellence, including, but not limited to, academic awards, publications, or grants;
- skills in quantitative and/or qualitative research methods;
- previous research experience;
- alignment of research experience and interests; and
- ability to contribute to a team.
Closing date: 22 October 2018
For more information:
Professor David Dunstan (David.Dunstan@baker.edu.au)
For information regarding application and enrolment email Graduate Research (email@example.com), with the subject line ‘Reducing Sitting Time in Type 2 Diabetes Scholarships’
Applications should be forwarded to:
Australian Catholic University
Locked Bag 4115
Fitzroy MDC VIC 3065
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Technical PhD Studentship, University of Manchester, UK
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships and Fellowships, Australia
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Living Allowance + Tuition Fees Doctoral Scholarships, University of Waikato, New Zealand
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Diabetes Research Innovation Award, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF), Australia
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) Australia and the Macquarie Group Foundation continue their support of excellence and innovation in type 1 diabetes research in 2011, through the annual Diabetes Research Innovation Awards. The Awards will be presented to outstanding researchers in type 1 diabetes for the publications or patents demonstrating the
Master of Public Health Scholarships, Australian Catholic University
Australian Catholic University (ACU) is proud to be offering a new Master of Public Health. To celebrate the commencement of this program the University is offering merit scholarships for students commencing in July 2016. ACU has been rated as above international standards for research in Public Health by the Australian
PhD Scholarship in Public Health, Curtin University, Australia
A three year PhD scholarship is available for an outstanding candidate to conduct epidemiological research at the School of Public Health. The scholarship is linked to a National Health & Medical Research Council funded project on obesity and risk of diabetes. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work
PhD Studentship in Vascular Medicine, University of Nottingham, UK
Predictors of responders to non-responders with DPP-IV inhibitor and association between oral antidiabetic use with hypoglycaemia and cardiovascular outcome Supervisors: Dr Iskandar Idris & Professor Richard Donnelly Applications are invited from highly motivated individuals for the above studentship, based at the School of Graduate Entry Medicine and Health at the Royal Derby
Undergraduate Business Scholarships for International Students, Australian Catholic University
The Faculty of Business is offering a scholarship to all international students commencing an undergraduate business degree in 2011. The scholarship has a maximum value of AU $2000 and will be awarded in 2 stages: Tuition fees payable for the 1st semester will be reduced by AU $1000 at the time of
Research Training Program Scholarships, Australian Catholic University
Applications are now open for Research Training Program Scholarships. Meritorious students are encouraged to apply, noting that, in assessing applications, ACU will give priority to applicants whose proposed research aligns with one of the following areas: education, health, social justice and the common good, and theology and philosophy. Priority will also
Katholischer Akademischer Ausländer-Dienst (KAAD) Scholarship Program 2, Germany
In KAAD Scholarship Program 2 we sponsor advanced foreign students from developing countries who are already enrolled in a German university. Scholarship candidates must be proposed by the corresponding Campus Ministry. Who can apply? For the scholarship programme 2 of KAAD you can apply if you: come from a developing or emerging
Arjen Ryder Memorial Scholarship, University of Western Australia
The Arjen Ryder Memorial Scholarship has been established in honour of Mr. Arjen Ryder and his wife Yvonne to encourage and assist a high achieving undergraduate student to pursue a Bachelor of Science (Honours), or Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours), with a thesis relating to sustainable agricultural practices at the UWA
Focal Petroleum Scholarship, Curtin University, Australia
The Focal Petroleum Scholarship is available to undergraduate students enrolled full-time in their first year at Curtin University undertaking a Bachelor of Engineering (Petroleum Engineering). The scholarship is being offered by Focal Petroleum Engineering Pty Ltd- an independent engineering consulting firm specializing in the areas of Geology, Geophysics, Reservoir Engineering and
Forrest Research Foundation PhD Scholarships, Australia
The Forrest Research Foundation was established in 2014 following the donation of $65 million, by Andrew and Nicola Forrest. Their donation is to assist Western Australia in becoming a world-class centre of research and innovation through attracting the next generation of outstanding intellects to this State. The Forrest Research Foundation scholarship
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.