A doctoral scholarship will be awarded to an outstanding candidate to undertake research to develop implement and deliver a high-performance Australian rules football training program.
This Industry PhD scholarship, established by La Trobe University in partnership with the Bendigo Pioneers (AFL Academy) based in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia will be awarded to a qualified applicant with a background in exercise conditioning and athlete monitoring.
This research project focuses on evaluating the high-performance training in the AFL Victoria’s academy program with the aim of developing, implementing and leading a high-performance program to promote and optimise player performance. It will contribute to and evaluate the program’s ability to support a competitive high-performance environment for the region’s talented youth Australian rules football players to reach their full athletic potential.
The research project will be based in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, and the PhD candidate will divide their time between AFL Victoria and La Trobe’s Bendigo campus.
Applicants should have a high level of achievement, including a first class honours degree or equivalent and be eligible for accreditation as an Exercise Scientist with Exercise & Sports Science Australia.
Benefits of the scholarship
Benefits of the scholarship include:
- A La Trobe PhD Scholarship for 3.5 years, with a value of $27,082 per annum (2018 rate)
- A fee-relief scholarship (LTU-FFRS) for up to four years for international applicants
- Academic supervision provided by La Trobe
- Industry supervision and mentoring provided by AFL Victoria
- Opportunities to work with AFL Victoria staff, and build professional and community networks in the sector
- Opportunities to work with La Trobe’s outstanding researchers
- Access to La Trobe’s suite of professional development programs.