Do you want to be a published travel writer?
This year we decided to shake things up a bit and instead of choosing just one country for our scholarship…we’ve decided to send you off to three different countries in Southeast Asia! Once on the ground, you’ll have the opportunity to see for yourself life beyond the banana pancake trail, and get to know Southeast Asia from the local perspectives, through the eyes of three amazing writers.
Here’s the triple-dip deal:
First you’ll head off to Singapore to go on assignment for five days under the mentorship of Rough Guides writer Richard Lim to review and update ‘The Rough Guide to Singapore’.
Then you’ll fly to Bali and meet up with Stuart McDonald, founder of Travelfish, the online travel guide to Southeast Asia, before heading off on six days of cultural insight and adventure in Indonesia.
For the last leg of the scholarship, you will be whisked off to Malaysia for a food odyssey through Kuala Lumpur and Penang with former local and cookbook author of award winning hsa*ba Burmese cookbook, Tin Cho Chaw, to explore how cuisine shapes the lives of Malaysians.
**You need to be available between June 18th – July 6th, 2012 to participate on the assignment.**
- April 23 Submission deadline
- April 24-May 11 Judging preliminary shortlist
- May 11-16 Finalists shortlist
- May 17 Winner confirmed and announced
- May 17-June 17 Trip preparation
- June 18 Arrive in Singapore
- June 19-20 Meet Richard Lim – Singapore, shadow for two days
- June 21-22 Solo assignment for two days
- June 23 Meet up with Richard, feedback on assignment etc.
- June 24-30 Indonesia: Culture & Adventure
- July 1-July 5 Malaysia: Food Odyssey
- July 6 Depart
- August 20 Copy deadline
What you’ll need to produce
Along with your work on the ‘Rough Guide to Singapore’, you will be required to keep a daily travel journal on WorldNomads.com (no less than 200 words per daily entry) to share your adventures through Southeast Asia. Your journal should be completed no later than two weeks from returning from your trip.
Who can apply
- This opportunity is open to students, emerging and non-professional writers and lovers of travel looking for a career change.
- The scholarship is open to all nationalities, however, you must have a high degree of proficiency in written English.
- The opportunity is designed to give you a taste of what it’s like to be a travel writer on the road, so you must be comfortable doing some travel on your own.
- Minimum age 18 by the date the scholarship application close (April 23, 2012)
- A current passport with at least six months before expiry
- You must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in anyway, you must be available for the entire assignment.
- You should be an exceptional writer with a lust for adventure travel, a desire to experience new cultures (and eat them!)and above all, a burning desire to become a professional travel writer!
What constitutes a professional travel writer?
Essentially this is a ‘learning opportunity’ for someone who is looking for an introduction into the travel writing industry and importantly keen to be mentored.
As a guide, for the purposes of the opportunity, we would consider you to be professional travel writer if you have been published regularly in newspapers, travel magazines or travel journals. We would also consider you to be a professional travel writer if you derive more than 25% of your income from travel writing.
If you have had a few stories published, or keep a regular travel blog then we would not consider this professional.
We would also like to further clarify that a professional writer of any sort (travel writer or otherwise) is not eligible to apply if they derive more than 25% of their income from writing.
Please consider the spirit of the program which is intended to help those with a burning desire to be a professional travel writer and need some help getting started.
If you want it, you’ve got to show it. To apply you need to:
- Write. Craft a 2000 character or less (this includes spaces) travel focused essay based on a personal experience around oneof the following themes;
- ‘Understanding a Culture through Food’
- ‘A Local Encounter that Changed my Life’
- ‘Seeing the World through Others Eyes’
- ‘Giving Back on the Road’
It’s up to you to convince our judging panel through your writing that you have the spirit of adventure and passion for travel writing to be chosen for this scholarship. We will be looking for:
- great descriptive ability
- strong eye for detail
- ability to uncover and tell a compelling story
- excellent spelling and grammar and a knack for avoiding clichés
- Complete an entry form which includes contact details and a maximum 800 character essay on why you should be chosen and what the opportunity will mean for you. Your answer will provide considerable weight in the judging process.
- One entry per person.
- The entry must be submitted in English
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Full Tuition Fee Fashion Scholarships, International Fashion Academy, France
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
Travel Writing Scholarship to Beijing, China by WorldNomads
Keen to turn your passion for writing into a profession? This year we want to send you to Beijing, China! Crisscrossed by freeways, spiked with high-rises, this vivid metropolis is China at its most dynamic. For a thousand years, the drama of China’s imperial history was played out in Beijing, with the
Dr Goh Keng Swee (GKS) Scholarship for Undergraduate Students, Singapore
The Dr Goh Keng Swee (GKS) Scholarship is a private sector scholarship administered by the Association of Banks in Singapore (ABS). Each year, 3 to 4 scholarships are awarded to outstanding individuals from 15 Asia Pacific economies (Brunei, Cambodia, Hong Kong SAR, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, PRC, Taiwan, Vietnam,
APEC Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
This scholarship is open to nationals of the following APEC member economies to pursue a full-time Master of Business Administration (MBA) programme at NTU: Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Russia,
Scholarships for Students from Singapore, Malaysia & Indonesia – University of Western Australia
The International Undergraduate Scholarship is awarded on the basis of academic excellence and enthusiasm for science research for students from Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. A total of three scholarships are available and each scholarship is valued at $15,000 over three years To be eligible to apply, students must: Be completing, or have completed,
ASEAN Scholarships for Indonesia by Ministry of Education, Singapore
The ASEAN Scholarships for Indonesia is tenable for 4 years leading to the award of the Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education Advanced (GCE A) Level (or equivalent) certificate. The Scholarship is for studies in selected Singapore schools from Secondary Three to Pre-University Two and is renewed annually, subject to the satisfactory
ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship, National University of Singapore
The ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship (AUS) is offered by the National University of Singapore (NUS) to full-time NUS undergraduates who have outstanding academic merit and co-curricular activities. Eligibility The AUS is awarded to freshmen based on academic merit. These freshmen must be citizens or permanent residents of an ASEAN* member country. Singapore citizens
Newcastle University ASEAN Scholarships, UK
Value of award £3,000 payable towards the first year of tuition fees. Number of awards 18 Start date and duration Commences September 2016 for one year only. Application closing date The closing date for receipt of applications is 30th June 2016. Overview Newcastle University is delighted to announce 18 scholarship awards for students from Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore
UCD Global Excellence Graduate Scholarship, University College Dublin, Ireland
Open to: All successful applicants to the full time programmes who reside in, and are citizens of South East Asian countries; Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Cambodia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Laos, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam. Award: 100% tuition fee scholarship 6 x 50% tuition fee scholarships Deadline: March 31st 2017 All students
ASEAN Graduate Scholarship, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
This scholarship is open to nationals of member countries of ASEAN* (except Singapore) to pursue a designated full-time Masters degree by coursework and dissertation. * ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) consists of Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. Eligibility criteria Singaporeans and Singapore Permanent Residents
Scholarship for International Baccalaureate (IB) Graduates, University of Technology Sydney, Australia
This Scholarship was established by UTS to attract top achieving commencing international students who are completing the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma qualification from South East Asia, and are enrolling in an undergraduate program at UTS in Sydney. Please read the Conditions of Award for full details of the Scholarship. Who is eligible? To
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.