The Alan Turing Institute and Queen Mary University of London offer a number of places each year to motivated graduate students to complete a fully funded PhD. The Turing doctoral studentship scheme combines the strengths and expertise of world-class universities with the Turing’s unique position as the UK’s national institute for data science and artificial intelligence, to offer an exceptional PhD programme.
Turing doctoral students spend approximately half of their time based at the Institute headquarters at the British Library in London. They will apply and register for their doctorate at Queen Mary University of London, where they will spend the remainder of their time. Students will be supervised by faculty from Queen Mary who are also Fellows of the Institute or substantively engaged with it.
Course: PhDs linked to Data Science or Artificial Intelligence
Value: A tax-free stipend of £20,500 per annum, a travel allowance and conference fund, and tuition fees for a period of 3.5 years.
No. of awards: 3
Deadline: 14th January 2019
The Turing PhD programme offers all the benefits of completing a PhD at a world-class university, as well as a unique opportunity to study in a collaborative research space. Studying at The Alan Turing Institute offers students a unique opportunity to undertake a data science focused PhD in a multidisciplinary environment where more than 400 researchers from different disciplines work side-by-side. Studentships at the Turing support graduates to enrich their research through interdisciplinary engagement with the wider data science and artificial intelligence communities and the world at large.
To support students the Turing offers a generous tax-free stipend of £20,500 per annum, a travel allowance and conference fund, and tuition fees for a period of 3.5 years.
What are we looking for?
There is no standard Turing student. The Institute welcomes highly talented and proactive graduates who are significantly engaged in any of the topics core to data science and artificial intelligence and who are interested in engaging with the ethos of the Institute.
Participating in The Alan Turing Institute studentship scheme offers the opportunity to collaborate with academics and other students from a broad range of disciplines. The Institute is looking for students who will embrace the opportunity to enrich their research and broaden their learning through their time there. To this end, students must be willing to be based for at least half of their study at the Institute headquarters in London. Applications from a broad range of academic disciplines and backgrounds are encouraged, especially those whose research spans multiple disciplines and applications.
How to apply
Students should apply through Queen Mary. All applications should be made directly to the candidate’s chosen department and programme. In their application, and when choosing a supervisor, they should make it clear that they would like to be considered for the Turing doctoral studentship. PhD application pages can be selected from the drop-down menu here https://www.qmul.ac.uk/postgraduate/research/applying-for-a-phd/
Queen Mary will complete an initial assessment of your application and will refer selected candidates to the Institute in early February 2019. If successful, you will then be invited to attend a further interview at The Alan Turing Institute. The deadline for submission is midday Monday 14 January 2019.
For more information, please visit: www.qmul.ac.uk.
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Business School Master Scholarships, University of Leeds, UK
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Örebro University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Scholarships for International Students, Sweden
- Fully Funded Scholarships in Sociology and Politics, University of Bristol, UK
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Undergraduate Maths Scholarships for International Students, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Full Tuition Fee LLM Scholarships, Queen Mary University of London, UK
- Full Tuition Fee Master Scholarships, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships, New York University, USA
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Fully Funded Graduate Scholarships for International Students, University of Adelaide, Australia
- Fully Funded Fulbright Scholarships for Indonesian Students, USA
- Fully Funded Research Studentships for International Students, University of Reading, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships for International Students, University of Warwick, UK
- Full Tuition Fee MBA Scholarships for International Students, Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Malmö University, Sweden
- Space Studies Scholarships, International Space University, France
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships for International Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Full Tuition Fee Fashion Scholarships, International Fashion Academy, France
- Master Scholarships for International Students, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Fully Funded Master Scholarships, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Canada
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- MA Scholarships in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies, University of London, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Economics, CERGE-EI, Czech Republic
PhD Studentships, School of Geography, Queen Mary, University of London, UK
Queen Mary Studentships are open to suitably qualified candidates from the UK, EU and overseas. In the case of overseas applicants, the difference in cost between Home/EU and Overseas fees will be met by the School. The School is committed to appointing only the very best candidates to our PhD program.
Student Finance 2010/11, Queen Mary, UK Government
Bursaries: financial support offered by Queen Mary – University of London In addition to the financial support described above which is provided by the Government, Queen Mary will offer its own financial support package in the form of bursaries to assist students with the cost of study. Bursaries: Financial support offered by
Postgraduate Research Studentships, Queen Mary University of London, UK
QMUL offers research studentships to the value of around £12 million to support PhD students each year. These include our own prestigious QMUL Principal's Postgraduate Research Studentships, as well as Research Council UK (RCUK) funded studentships, funding from industry, and from research charities and cultural institutions. The Postgraduate Research Studentships set
LLM in Law and Economics Partial Scholarships, Queen Mary University of London, UK
The Centre for Commercial Law Studies (CCLS) and the School of Economics and Finance are offering three partial scholarships worth 50 per cent of the tuition fee each to outstanding Home/EU and overseas full time candidates. These partial scholarships will be deducted from tuition fees payable to the college. The successful
International Science and Engineering Excellence Awards, Queen Mary University of London, UK
In recognition of the important investment that overseas students are making in their education, Queen Mary is pleased to offer International Science and Engineering Excellence Awards for 2016 entry. These awards are for the value of £5,000 and are designed to reward academic achievement and help attract the brightest and
School of English and Drama Undergraduate Excellence Scholarship, Queen Mary University of London, UK
We will be awarding one Excellence Scholarship in 2017-18 for students pursuing our BA in English, BA in Drama or BA in English and Drama. The Scholarship will cover 50% of the course fees (for the standard duration of the course) and will go to an International student (paying overseas fees) Eligibility
PhD Studentships, School of Law, Queen Mary University of London, UK
The School of Law offers PhD supervision in a number of areas of legal research. For information on the areas of law we cover, how to apply, entry criteria and required application documents visit our PhD programme page. The application advice given on the School of Law web pages takes
Norman Palmer Scholarship, Queen Mary University of London, UK
Norman Palmer was the academic principal of the Institute of Art and Law, under the auspices of which he provided countless hours of instruction to hundreds of students. His wisdom and intellectual curiosity produced a number of leading publications, including Palmer on Bailment, Art Loans and Museums and the Holocaust,
School of English and Drama Postgraduate Excellence Scholarships, Queen Mary University of London, UK
We will be awarding two School of English and Drama Excellence Scholarships in 2017-18 for students pursuing our MA in Theatre and Performance or our MA in English Studies (any of the seven pathways) or our MA in Poetry. The Scholarships cover 50% of the course fees – one scholarship will
PhD Studentships for Cancer Research, London Research Institute, UK
The Cancer Research UK London Research Institute (LRI) conducts innovative basic biological research to improve our understanding of cancer. The LRI has made significant breakthroughs since its inception, and continues to be at the forefront of its field. With more than 550 staff and students, the LRI also has a strong
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.