Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic excellence and research potential to local and international candidates undertaking a research doctoral degree.
The Vice-Chancellor’s PhD Scholarships (VCPS) are funded by RMIT University.
Value and duration
The VCPS provides the following benefits to recipients:
- a stipend of $42,384.50 per annum pro rata (full-time study) which represents a generous RMIT top up of approximately $15,000 above the RTP rate
- a research support allowance of $5,000 per annum to support research activities
- a HDR publication award of $10,000 (payable on thesis submission). Candidates must submit their thesis within three and a half years (or equivalent part-time) to be eligible for award
- a relocation allowance for the cost of relocating in order to take up their postgraduate research program, up to $515 per adult and $255 per child to a maximum of $1,540
- paid sick, maternity and parenting leave (within the limits of the Scholarship Terms and Conditions).
If you are a local candidate, you will also receive a government-funded Research Training Program (RTP) place or equivalent. An RTP place is supported with a HECS exemption for the standard duration of the course. Applicants successful in receiving an RTP place are not required to pay tuition fees for the maximum duration of their candidature.
If you are an international candidate, you will also receive:
- tuition fees for the duration of the scholarship
- the cost of an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) policy for your visa duration.
The duration of a Vice Chancellor’s PhD Scholarship is three years full-time, with the possibility of a 6 month extension subject to satisfactory progress. This will be reduced by any periods of study undertaken towards an equivalent research degree prior to the commencement of the program at RMIT University.
Number of scholarships available
In 2018, RMIT University will offer 10 VCPS awards.
To be considered for a VCPS scholarship you must hold, or be currently completing:
- a Master by research
- a Master by coursework with a significant research component graded as high distinction, or equivalent
- a Honours degree achieving first class honours
- a 4 year bachelor degree achieving a GPA of 4 or equivalent (80% or above).
If you do not hold one of the above qualifications, you will only be considered for scholarship if you have previous publications or significant research experience. All other applicants will be considered ineligible.
In addition to the above, to be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be an Australian Citizen, New Zealand Citizen or Permanent Resident of Australia, or an international candidate who is commencing in an RMIT PhD program from 1 January 2018
- have applied for a full-time PhD program at RMIT.
Part-time VCPS may be approved for candidates with exceptional circumstances (e.g. for medical reasons or due to significant care commitments). Part-time scholarships are not tax exempt. Please refer to the Scholarship Terms and Conditions for further details.
You will be considered ineligible for a VCPS if:
- you have already commenced your PhD program at RMIT
- you already hold a research doctorate, or an equivalent research qualification
- you are currently receiving another equivalent award, scholarship or research related salary providing a benefit greater than 75% of the 2018 RTP base rate to undertake the research degree.
- you have not met the English requirements by the close of the main scholarship round (international only)
- you have not received a program offer to commence in a PhD program in 2018, by the close of the main scholarship round (international only).
Key dates and how to apply
VCPS scholarships are only open to commencing PhD candidates in the main scholarship round.
For information relating to scholarship opening rounds and to apply for scholarship, please refer to the instructions detailed on research scholarships.
The next scholarship round will open for application mid 2018. All applications for this round must be submitted by 5pm AEST on Monday 1 October 2018.
Successful applicants will generally be required to commence in the first quarter of 2019.
All applications will be ranked based on a model that has been approved by RMIT’s Research Committee.
See the Research Scholarship Terms and Conditions (PDF 326KB 10p) for more information.
- Hobsons Coursefinder – a nation-wide postgraduate scholarship database
- Other scholarships at RMIT
- How to apply for a research degree
HDR Scholarships Team
Phone: +61 3 9925 5570
For more information, please visit: www1.rmit.edu.au.
If you find our website useful, please consider making a donation. It will help us pay our operating expenses.
- Living Allowance + Tuition Fees Doctoral Scholarships, University of Waikato, New Zealand
- Fully Funded Art Major Asian Scholarships, Korea National University of Arts, South Korea
- Full Tuition Fee + Grant, MSc in Engineering Scholarships, University of Southern Denmark
- Fully Funded Scholarships, Bond University, Australia
- Full Tuition Fee LLM Scholarships, Queen Mary University of London, UK
- Music Scholarships, Musicians Institute, USA
- Full Tuition + Allowance Undergraduate Scholarships, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Fully Funded Doctoral Scholarships in Engineering, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- Fully Funded Undergraduate Scholarship for Student from Developing Country, University of Westminster, UK
- Fully Funded PhD Scholarships, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for International Students, University of the West of England, UK
- Fully Funded GCE A Level Scholarships for Indonesian Students, Singapore
- Full Tuition Fee Scholarships for Female Students from Developing Countries, Swansea University, UK
Vice-Chancellor’s Senior Research Fellows, RMIT University, Australia
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, RMIT Research & Research Training is global, partnered and making a difference. RMIT University is a global university of technology and design with its heart in the city of Melbourne, Australia. RMIT University has an international reputation for excellence in industry engagement with established educational and
Vice-Chancellor’s Research Fellowships, RMIT University, Australia
The Vice-Chancellor’s Research Fellowships are open to researchers with an excellent track record who can make a significant contribution to RMIT's research priority areas. The fellowships are aligned with the RMIT strategic plan and our eight Enabling Capability Platforms. Successful applicants will be offered either a Vice-Chancellor’s Senior Research Fellowship or
Foundation Studies Scholarships, RMIT University, Australia
If you are an international student enrolling in Foundation Studies at RMIT, this scholarship could pay a contribution towards your tuition fees. Values and duration The scholarship pays $4000 towards your tuition fees. Number of scholarships available Scholarships are available each year, and one will be awarded for each program intake, commencing with the
Master of Biotechnology by Coursework Scholarship, RMIT University, Australia
If you are an international student commencing an RMIT Master of Biotechnology, this scholarship could assist towards your tuition fees. Value and duration Scholarships are initially for one year but are reassessed at the end of your first year at RMIT. The value is $5000 per year. Eligibility To be eligible for this scholarship
Vice-Chancellor’s Student Award for Contribution to University Life, Edith Cowan University, Australia
The ECU Vice-Chancellor's Student Award for Contribution to University Life is awarded by the university to recognise a nominated student or student team, who has made an outstanding contribution to student life at Edith Cowan University in 2010. University students and staff, and representative bodies external
Vice-Chancellor’s Student Award for Engagement, Edith Cowan University, Australia
The ECU Vice-Chancellor's Student Award for Engagement is awarded by the university to recognise a nominated student or student team, who has demonstrated outstanding engagement with external communities and has contributed to the achievement of the university's strategic priorities through engagement activities. University students and staff,
Lightweight Vehicle Structures Research Scholarship, RMIT University, Australia
The School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering along with the AutoCRC are collaborating to investigate research in lightweight vehicle structures. Value and duration The scholarship is valued at $25,000 per annum (tax free) for 3 years plus $10,000 to support an internship in Germany for the first year. Eligibility To be eligible for
Women in Engineering Scholarship, RMIT University, Australia
School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering Women in Engineering Scholarship If you are a woman commencing engineering studies in 2014 in the School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, this scholarship can provide you financial assistance within your first year of study. Value and duration: The scholarship pays $5000 for one
Vice-Chancellor’s Research Fellowships, Queensland University of Technology, Australia
Queensland University of Technology (QUT) is offering up to five prestigious Vice-Chancellor`s Research Fellowships for talented early and mid-career researchers. QUT`s reputation for quality research is characterized by strong links with industry, professions and the community. As one of Australia`s fastest growing research universities, QUT is backing its aspirations with a
Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarship – ASEAN, Macquarie University, Australia
The Macquarie University Vice-Chancellor's International Scholarship - ASEAN provides a partial scholarship for outstanding students from the ASEAN region to study at Macquarie University North Ryde campus. It has been designed to recognise academic excellence and provide financial assistance for international students. This Vice-Chancellor's International Scholarship - ASEAN is highly
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.